Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted backup hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eskimo85

eskimo85

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:26 AM

Well, here's my first post folks, I did a little searching before this, but couldn't find a really similar problem.

I had a several year old computer I was running Windows 2000 on. I could run most games on it reasonably well, and it never really gave me problems. When I decided to upgrade to XP, I backed up all my data on my secondary IDE drive, no problem.

I went through the install process on the primary hard drive, formatting it prior to install. My secondary (backup) hard drive was connected during the install. Upon completion of the install and getting my drivers updated, I went to check my backup hard drive. Windows no longer recognizes it. It shows up under Explorer, but cannot be accessed. I can't remember the exact wording of it, but basically there's something wrong with the formatting now.

I tried hooking said hard drive up to another computer, but same problem, windows can't get into it.

So, several years of pictures and videos are now not accessible. Which makes me mad because it was the backup hard drive in the first place.

So, what can I do to get into it to retrieve some files?

Thanks for your time, and I apologize for the Wall of Text

EDIT: I think I've found some freeware tools for this sort of thing, but haven't downloaded 'em as they seem... less than legit. Too many pr0n adds or pop-ups before download, you know? If anybody knows some good tools, that'd be much appreciated.

Edited by eskimo85, 03 January 2011 - 02:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 symbi

symbi

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

A Linux boot CD might do the trick. I'm using a Knoppix 6.4.3 CD to copy some files off of a non-bootable Windows disk and it just worked. I don't have a lot of hands-on experience myself but the Linux forums on this site are a great place for help if you need it. Good luck!

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:30 AM

Sounds like you may need to (re)take ownership of the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users