Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random restarts

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 LearningDrone

LearningDrone

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

This problem occurred a while ago but it was rare and eventually stopped, and now it has returned and is more often than before. The computer would restart when it's under heavy load, like gaming, and when it does restart it would sometimes be able to fully restart back to the desktop while other times it would get stuck in a loop at the every beginning of turning on the computer then later it would just shut off and I would not be able to turn it back on after a while, about 3-5 minutes of turning off the rocker switch on the back and pressing the power button while it's off to drain the rest of the power. However, this occurs randomly, but only occurs while under heavy load. (Hopefully that made sense) I tried dusting the computer, monitoring the temperatures with the cpu at 60C when gaming, tried memtest86+, and now I'm almost out of ideas of what is the cause of the problem since my only idea left is a dying psu but I don't want to buy a multimeter or a psu tester just for 1 use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

Download System Information for Windows (SIW free version)
No installation required.

After it scans your computer, navigate to Hardware>Sensors and post all info from there.

Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 LearningDrone

LearningDrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

Posted Image
Sorry for the late reply, I was really busy, and I was not sure if you wanted the html file the program saves the data in or a picture.

Edited by LearningDrone, 04 January 2011 - 08:33 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

It doesn't show, what CPU you have.

Hold Windows logo key Posted Image, hit Pause/Break key and let me know, what CPU is listed there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 LearningDrone

LearningDrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

It's a pentium 4, 3.4 ghz

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

You're seriously overheated.
Max temp for your CPU is listed at 68C (http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_4/Intel-Pentium%204%203.4%20GHz%20-%20RK80532PG096512%20%28BX80532PG3400D%29.html).
SIW shows your CPU reaching even up to 73C!

Firstly, stop using your computer, or some irreversible damage may happen.
Turn it off, open the case, get a can of compressed air (nothing else!) and clean well inside.
With the case open, turn the computer on and see, if all fans are running.
Re-run SIW and see how temperatures are.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 LearningDrone

LearningDrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

Just finished dusting and the results are the same. All the fans are working as well.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

I'm not a hardware guy, but your next step would be to reapply thermal paste: http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 LearningDrone

LearningDrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

I just finished reapplying thermal compound, and the new max temperature is 61 degrees C. I haven't encountered the restart problem yet, and hopefully it was the old thermal compound that caused the problems.

Edited by LearningDrone, 07 January 2011 - 12:17 AM.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:19 AM

That's better, but 61C for an idle computer is still too high.
You may need to install some extra fan.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 LearningDrone

LearningDrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

I ran my computer with the case open for a while and that doesn't affect the temperature apparently.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:32 PM

Broni,

Sorry to interject here, but running your case open / with the side off can actually cause more issues then it will apparently seem to fix.

Can you tell us what case you have, and if possible post pictures of the case with the side panel off.

I missed a word in my typing. Thanks Broni.

Edited by cryptodan, 07 January 2011 - 11:56 PM.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:52 PM

but running your case can actually cause more issues then it will apparently seem to fix

??

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 symbi

symbi

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

but running your case can actually cause more issues then it will apparently seem to fix

??

I'll agree with cryptodan - a properly designed, properly ventilated case is designed to optimize airflow across the most critical parts to dissipate heat properly. Running with the case open completely breaks down the airflow pathways and the fans are basically just stirring air. There's quite a lot of engineering that goes into good components, hence the wild variations in price...you get what you pay for.

Also the open case allows dust to be sucked in from all directions and not get captured by the slots & holes that are designed to help. And it's really noisy too :-)

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

Off-topic, but...

I haven't had a cover on any of my computer cases...in at least 5 years now :), I like to fiddle with my components, move drives from one system to another, etc. I can't say that I've noticed any problems of any sort caused by it which would impact any system or O/S :).

As for dust...I believe that's why canned air is available for users like myself. I also use small paint brushes to remove any that might accumulate where it could impact components via overheating.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users