Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SPDIF to 3.5mm jacks adapter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nesto1000

nesto1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

I'm not too sure if this qualifys to be here, but it seems the most appropriate.

I have my Xbox 360 hooked up to my monitor, and I want to hook up my 5.1 surround sound computer speakers directly to the 360. The speakers have three 3.55mm jacks, and I was trying to see if there was an SPDIF to 3.5mm input adapter of some sort?

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

They exist: http://www.amazon.com/PDIF-Adapter-3-5mm-MONO-Plug/dp/B001TKEGRI

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

more info here
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1321335

#4 nesto1000

nesto1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:46 PM

They exist: http://www.amazon.com/PDIF-Adapter-3-5mm-MONO-Plug/dp/B001TKEGRI

I saw those, but what I want is some sort of adapter that will transfer the whole 5.1 surround sound.

more info here
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1321335

From looking there, all I think that I might need is a toslink switch?

What I'm basically trying to do is Use the S/PDIF as the Output, and my three separate 3.5 mm jacks as the input. The only thing that I can see at the moment that might help is that toslink switch, but I'm not sure.

Edit:
I want something like this:
Posted Image

Edited by nesto1000, 03 January 2011 - 09:17 PM.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:00 AM

hi nesto, this is a grey area for me also. i assume optical to mean the signal is a beam of light that has to be changed to the analog (wave) signal on the copper wire. if that is what a toslink does you are in business. i will research more later when i have time. i will be going the same route as you, searching the net. maybe a call to a good audio shop may clear things up.

#6 nesto1000

nesto1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

hi nesto, this is a grey area for me also. i assume optical to mean the signal is a beam of light that has to be changed to the analog (wave) signal on the copper wire. if that is what a toslink does you are in business. i will research more later when i have time. i will be going the same route as you, searching the net. maybe a call to a good audio shop may clear things up.

Yea I think that I'm going to talk to the tech department at my college department, or the guys at Frys electronics, maybe even the geeksquad at BestBuy?
But I too will be doing my research when I have time. I was hoping that someone on here would already know.... :/
I'll still keep my hopes up in that someone will come in and give us a solution! :D

If there's nothing out there, I guess that I'll just save up my money for a TV and a reviver...

Edited by nesto1000, 04 January 2011 - 09:23 PM.

Posted Image

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

well, i searched and searched. toslink is not the answer. i can find no adapter\converter that will do what you want. after much reading you are not alone. many others have searched and did not find.
the only way i can see for you to get 5.1 sound is either through an amp that would do the conversion and provide the ins and outs or through a computer with a sound card that provides coax spdif line in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users