Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 owenro

owenro

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 08 December 2005 - 01:21 PM

I know I am a computer dummy but here goes.
- How do I find out what browser I am running?
- How do I change browsers.
I am trying to download Norton update and they say my browser is not letting the download happen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:33 PM

owenro,

First of all let me say, welcome to Bleeping Computer.

First things first, if you have not downloaded an alternative browser. Or are unaware of an alternative browser on your machine. And you are using Microsoft Windows of any type. Then most likely you have Internet Explorer. Also referred to quite often as IE.

If you are interested in an alternative browser I'll link you to a tutorial here that explains a very popular browser that is free to download and use. Tutorial link on how to switch from IE to Firefox.

As far as the Norton update, what Norton product are you updating. And what is the exact error message. If you can give what version of windows you are running and the Norton product(s), you have on your machine. We can better assist you in resolving your update problem.

Be (Norton Update) Safe

Da Bleeping Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 owenro

owenro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:43 PM

I think I am using MSN explorer
Program is windows xp
norton is Norton Internet Security 2006, Cannot open program. I get message - Please wait while norton Internet Security performs initial configuration tasks. This may take several minutes - nothing happens.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:55 PM

I am trying to download Norton update and they say my browser is not letting the download happen.

I think I am using MSN explorer
Program is windows xp
norton is Norton Internet Security 2006, Cannot open program. I get message - Please wait while norton Internet Security performs initial configuration tasks. This may take several minutes - nothing happens.

I'm kind of confused here. Has this Norton product ever worked? In your original statement you say you're not able to update via the browser. Norton does not update with a browser they have their own proprietary update service. Your second quote, you say that Norton Internet Security hangs at the initial configuration task. I'm not understanding what it is you're having a problem with exactly. Have you attempted to uninstall reinstall Norton to see if this fixes your problem? Have you gone to the Symantec website and searched their knowledge base? I'll add a link to the Symantec site with information on what to do with an live update session hanging with XP as the OS. Symantec/Norton support site link.

Also one additional thing. MSN is a service/portal that Microsoft provides. It is not the web browser. The web browser is IE. You should see a desktop icon that says "Internet Explorer" Hope this clarifies that a little.

Be (Norton Support) Safe

Da Bleeping Advisor Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:35 AM

Far be it for me to tell you what to do, BUT I ditched MacAfee for the simpler AVG Free Edition. The best move I ever made, as far as software. Left 14 months on the subscription.
My option. Go with AVG Free Edition, or Avast Personal Edition.
I believe you will be happier.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users