Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 or more usb devices causes jumpy computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rabbit893

rabbit893

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

Hey guys,

Had my windows 7 pro x64 installed on my self build computer which I've has for just over a year now. Everything works perfectly well apart from the usb problem i have.

When i connect more than 2 usb storage devices, the computer often jumps and skips and causes lots of programs to 'not respond'. This only occurs with storage devices as i have a usb joystick and a usb remote control for a media player. I have tried removing these devices and tried different combinations of USB ports as the computer has 6. (2 x front, 4 x back)

The hardware on the computer should surely be upto it as it has
4GB DDR2 1066Mhz RAM
Intel Q8300 @ 2.5Ghz
3 sata HDD:
40GB system
160GB programs
250GB data

Some of the storage devices i have include:
2GB pen drive
4GB pen drive
8GB pen drive
500GB external HDD
640GB external HDD

I am unable to find any info on this at all and am pretty confused as it would be nice to be able to copy thing directly between two storage devices instead of copying it to an internal HDD and then swapping usb devices to be able to copy it onto the other.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeexEnigma

DeexEnigma

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

When you put the ext hdd's in, or the usb drives etc. have you got defaults set so that windows will scan the drives for files?
Does the computer only go like this for a short time, or does it do it from when you put the drives in onward and doesn't stop?

When you put in say just the usb remote or just the usb joystick and say a thumb drive does it still give you the same problem?
Does the same problem occur when say one of the thumb drives is in, loaded, not performing any operations, then you put in the remote for example?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users