Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Sounds Of Silence And Simon And Art Aren't Here

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rm2

rm2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:56 PM

my hard wired analog sound card does not work...have gone to the update section, have deleted and re-installed and still no sound...have checked speakers...when i boot the computer, i hear a distinct "pop" made by the speakers since i have turned them all the way up , but when windows loads there is another pop that tells me ain't no sound gonna happen,,,,my device manager shows no conflicts...have deleted all multimedia sound devices and re-installed....have run a direct X diagnostic and it shows no sound card...loading game software shows no sound card detected also...have windows direct 9X......anything i can do??? MAYDAY :thumbsup: sound card is an Sound Max by Analog Devices.....Using Windows ME (bad and stupid)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:40 PM

I tkae it when you refer to hard wired you mean onboard non removable? I listed a couple ofl utilities that may help you.
Have you gone to your Device Manager to see if the sound card is still listed? Is there a yellow ! next to the device. With the popping sound it maybe that your onboard sound has failed and needs replacing. What motherboard (It will say when you boot)? You can also find theis when you run one of the utilties.

Belarc Diagnostic Tool
Fresh Diagnose (Diagnostic and system resource)
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 rm2

rm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:49 PM

The sound card is on the motherboard........the motherboard is America Megatrends...no conflict yellow exclamation points on anything, was wondering if the sound card using irq 9 could conflict with anything else because other things like the PCI bridge use 9 also....my sys info page in Windows does not display the page for conflicting devices, so i cannot find if the sys info utility shows a conflict...have downloaded a file that supposedly will show sys info/conflicts...etc...thanks for your help i will try the utilities..Device manager shows no conflicts/Device manager shows the card is working with no conflicts/have deleted and updated this card with no results...............

Edited by rm2, 09 December 2005 - 04:54 PM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:05 PM

Have you tried to delete it from the device manager and let Windows reinstall it?

#5 It's Hard

It's Hard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:16 PM

The device manager can be deceiving. You should probably check the Sounds and Audio Devices properties, and make sure that your audio driver is listed as the default device. If your device is not listed at all, you will have to re-install it. I can't tell you how to find the device properties in Windows ME. Good luck.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 09:46 PM

I need you to Shut Down, not reboot your computer. When you turn it on press the Pause key in the upper right hand side of your keyboard.
When you stop the screen, copy down the motherboard number. As a matter of course copy down the entire first 5 to 10 line at the top of the page. You have to time it just right. If too early you won't get enough. Too late and you are on to the next page.

#7 rm2

rm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 01:09 PM

Ok, will do, the utilities were great, was able to get rid of some crud i thought was gone....will let you know tomorrow...thanks..............

#8 rm2

rm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:25 PM

the motherboard number is IMGB12413378/Model is D850GB/Intel Version AAA55888902

the first four lines are...and only 4, before the windows desk top appears are...NVIDIA VANTA VANTA BIOS/
1.05.109 V3/Copyright 1998-1999/ NVIDIA/16MB .............. just a note: I have recovery disks for this system, but since my drive E:, where my main CD Rom is, doesn't work, i am not smart enough to get the recovery disks to boot from Drive F:, which is my CDRW drive and the ones i am running programs from.. Ii have inserted the recovery disks in Drive F and opened the folders, but just cannot figure out how to get to the files I need,,,do not have the original version of Windows ME....thanks again......

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:56 PM

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...45&submit=Go%21

#10 rm2

rm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:51 PM

Thanks....will try...............let u know........ :thumbsup:

#11 rm2

rm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:22 PM

went to the site and dowloaded the files /no joy on the sound........computer runs much better with the accelorator, etc ..........went to a driver download page and downloaded the Sound Max card....the program ran, but still no sound...........so i think it's just time to get a new plug in card.....thanks for all you help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users