Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optimizing a Brand New machine running Win7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sutherlinca

Sutherlinca

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:45 PM

I have a brand new machine that I have not taken out of the box. I would like to learn how to get rid of all the junk programs that are not necessary to start on boot up. Also I'd like to close any default open ports that make a system more susceptible to intrusion. I'm wondering if there is a tutorial or video clip of some type, or any other useful tips. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Sutherlinca,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

The best tutorials I have found for Windows7 are written by Brink at this link http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/257-windows-7-tutorial-index.html

Grinler has posted tutorials in this (BC's) forum up above

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Brockishh

Brockishh

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

Hey Sutherlinca,
When you turn your computer on just go to the start menu and search "msconfig". The click startup. Then select everthing that is not necessary.. But be careful not to remove anything that is part of the system. Then if you want to uninstall the programs, go to control panel, programs and features, then remove things. Now about antivirus. They probably provided you with some junk like Norton or Mcafee. I would recommend something like AVG or avast! Antivirus, it is the best.
--
Brockishh
Laptop
HP G60
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
CPU
AMD Athlon X2 QL-62 2.00 GHz
Video
NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G 128MB
Ram
3GB Ram