Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem windows 7 on the desktop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JCII

JCII

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

Hi,
Trying to help my Dad. He has a new HP computer with windows 7.(HP computer)about 2 months old. Almost all of the desk top icons turned to a red symbol and when you double click on them it comes up with a window Microsoft windows manager with a symbol in the middle of the page. There are a few icons on the desktop that are still ok and work. Like the recycle bin and the computer and a few more. Ran the Norton full scan and it did not find any virus.

Not sure what else to do. Thinking about downloading malware bytes and spybot and running those next. Maybe go back to a restore point. Computer was working fine till 2 days ago.

Also when you click on All Programs the icons are also mostly in a red symbol.

Any ideas.

Thanks,

Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

Can you post a screen shot of this?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JCII

JCII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

Hi, after I do a print screen I cannot open up Microsoft word to paste. Is there another place to try and paste the screen shot?

#4 JCII

JCII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

Sorry it all comes up as "microsoft picture manager" in the top

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

You can paste it into Paint or any number of other programs. Irfanview is an easy choice, IMO.

Inserting An Image Within A Post - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic14738.html

Louis

#6 JCII

JCII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

When trying to do a screen shot , Paint will not open up, word will not open up. All of those icons are shown now in red and when you click on them a window opens up. At the top it says, "Microsoft Office Picture Manager" and there is a icon in the middle of the window.

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

Something has definitely taken over the computer! ... post in this forum http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html and ask for help.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 Sequim

Sequim

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

I too have an HP computer running Win7-64 bit, and the same problem happened to me twice in the last three months. All the icons first changed to Word, and then after a bit they changed to Adobe, and then to Notepad. You are right; when this happens nothing works - click on Paint, for example and Notepad pops up and says it can't open Paint.

If you have a good system image backup then a restoring that should solve the problem. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me.

If you have another account on your computer log into that and create a new user account. If you just have data on the bad account that you want to keep just copy the files over to the new account. If you want to recreate the whole account it's possible. Just be careful. I screwed up and had to go back to a full system recovery. Here are some links that might help:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7desktop/thread/f2674cfc-50c5-41e4-ae11-7084f99de54e

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-user-account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

If you don't have a second account on your computer then I believe full system recovery might be the only solution.

Edited by Sequim, 05 January 2011 - 01:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users