Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can You Setup/Configure a Wireless Modem/Router from an iPad?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wansbrough

Wansbrough

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

My brother and I purchased an iPad for our mum. She can see next doors Netgear WiFi but unfortunately they do not know the the security number to give mum access. Please don't ask its a long story........
So we were wondering if there is a way of creating a new broadband network using an old wireless router (Actiontec 54Mbps Wireless DSL Gateway GT701WG) we have that is spare and mums new iPad?
Mum doesn't have a PC so we cannot set one up that way. Is there anyway that the router could be set up using the iPad itself?
Presumably you have to have something hard wired to the router to make the settings?

So in a nut shell, can I configure/troubleshoot the modem/router using just the iPad? I know some configurations are accessed through just a web browser, and I wasn't sure if the iPad Safari would support that.
And what if somebody was setting up a modem from scratch?
Would they be able to do everything from the iPad?

One option we have thought might work would be to set it up using a laptop but will the router still work once we unplug it?

Any assistance appreciated. :thumbup2:

Edited by Wansbrough, 02 January 2011 - 11:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:46 PM

don't know much about iPad but you can certainly use a laptop to set up router and wireless network and then remove the laptop. any web browser will do the job. you will need user name and password for router or reset router to factory default and start from scratch. you will also need user name and password from ISP for your internet account. Happy New Year Mum.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

Is there anyway that the router could be set up using the iPad itself?

It depends, on some wireless routers/APs, you can set a switch to disable administrative access via the WLAN interface. If your router supports this, and it is set, you will not be able to configure it via the WLAN interface, but will need to use the LAN interface.

One option we have thought might work would be to set it up using a laptop but will the router still work once we unplug it?

Yes, but remark that on some routers, you have to explicitly save your configuration, otherwise it gets lost once you restart the router.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,462 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

I can't speak for that particular wireless router, but most wireless routers these days inappropriately configure the default settings to broadcast the ssid without encryption.

So theoretically, if you reset the router to factory defaults, you should be able to connect to it via the ipad, login to the administrator interface if you know the default username/password, and configure it.

The only problem is that when you tighten the wireless security, the ipad will lose connection to the router until you reconfigure the ipad to use the new security settings. One of the disadvantages, though, is if you forget the encryption key, write it down wrong, etc, you would not be able to access the router wirelessly to check them and would have to start over.

That is why using a fixed connection via a laptop or desktop is the best way to setup wireless.

Will it work...good chance, but depends on the router.

#5 Wansbrough

Wansbrough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for answers and time folks. Will give the laptop method a go. :busy:

#6 Jaksueaj

Jaksueaj

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:51 AM

i think you can configure a Wireless Modem or Router from an iPad , even if i dont have an ipad for sure it is also like laptop or you use it like laptop..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users