Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion post errors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aktb254

aktb254

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

Hi Guys,

I have a similar issue. The computer details are as follows: PC: HP Pavillion m9000, MB MCP61PM-HM manufactured by ECS. OS: Vista.

The computer would intermittently turn on to the blue hp invent screen, but the keyboard and mouse would not work - or they too would intermittently work.

Now when I go to turn the computer on, it powers on but no screen - and it doesn't sound like it is reading the hard drives or anything. I can open and close the optical drive. But still when i go to connect the usb keyboard no lights come on as if they are working as they normally would.

After about 1.5 minutes from when I power it on there are these constant long beeps about 13 seconds in length, and around 10 seconds in between beeps. I stopped counting and shut it off after 18 beeps - I had a look for beep codes, but nothing I saw was ever 18 long beeps.

The power supply LED is on at the back, and all the fans are spinning inside the case.

Not sure what's wrong. Anyone have any ideas or that could possible share their knowledge on such an issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aktb254

aktb254
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts thus far?

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

How much memory is in the system?

Try reseating the memory and all cards.
If the system has multiple memory modules in it try them one at a time.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:42 PM

That was my 1st guess too. Bad ram could stop boot. Or a fried processor.
When this stuff happens, I disconnect everything, and put one thing on at a time to see what happens.
I have had shorted out CD drives that did this, bad ram, misconfigured motherboard.

Did you change anything, or it just started doing this on it's own.

I had one guy upgrade his ram to a card higher than the mobo could handle causing the same thing.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

Along with the above advice I can add that the beep code is not 18 but 1 long beep that is repeating. Once there is a pause longer than a 1 or 2 seconds it generally states its restarting the beep code.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

FWIW: http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01152960/c01152960.pdf

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users