Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

eRightSoft "Super" re-coder adding mysterious thumbnails to everything.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 defwack

defwack

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:31 AM

I have been using the program called "Super" by eRightSoft for many years without problems. Lately I've noticed that it has been adding mysterious thumbnail images to all of the media that I process with it. The thumbnail is always the same (album cover art from a random mp3 I have), and it gets added to both audio and video files. These thumbnails will show in the media players (WinAmp, VLC, WMP, etc), but not in the thumbnail view in Windows Explorer.

I would try to get more information from the eRightSoft people, but it's a freeware program and they do not provide support. They do have a forum of their own, but it's persistently inaccessible (always "loading" but never actually loads).

Basically I'd just like to know if anyone out there has experience with Super, and if you know how to get it to stop adding this thumbnail to every file it processes.

Thanks!
~Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Are these particular files all inside the same folder?

I'm asking because if all these file are in the the same folder, and there is a jpeg in that same folder, Winamp or whatever media player will associate that jpeg with all of the files in that folder.

#3 defwack

defwack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:15 PM

Aha! Yes, they are all in the same folder. It's actually the Desktop where I'm launching them all from. I moved them around to other folders (including folders on the Desktop) and the mystery thumbnail is gone when I play them from other locations!

The only thing is that there is no jpeg or any other image file on my desktop that it would seem to be associating with. Could this image somehow have been assigned to the Desktop's system folder? If so, how could I undo that?

I've even noticed that if I play an mp3 in WinAmp from its regular folder, it shows the regular album art that's properly associated with the file (I have all of my album-art embedded in the mp3 itself), BUT if I move the mp3 to the Desktop, the mystery-thumbnail overrides it and shows up in the album-art window. If I move it back off the desktop, the original art is still there.

Let me know if you have any ideas about getting this image out of the Desktop's associations.

Thanks!
~Joe

#4 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

There might be a hidden file on your desktop, either an image or a windows media player data file.

Open 'My computer' then 'Tools'(at the top of the window) then 'Folder options' then 'View' then 'Show hidden files and folders' and press 'apply'

#5 defwack

defwack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:33 PM

Okay, so I went in and double-checked that there were no hidden files on the desktop, and found that there were none. I then decided to start looking around in other folders on the desktop to see if there was anything hidden in there.

I have a folder I keep on my desktop that I call my "sort folder" where I just kind of throw things that I haven't had a chance to properly sort out yet, so that they're not cluttering the desktop. Anyhow, within this folder I had another folder that a friend had given me with some new music samples, and a few more folders deep into that folder, I found an mp3 that has the same album-art as is showing up whenever I play a media file from my desktop.

Now this specific mp3 hasn't been played by me since I've had it here (I just threw it into the sort folder when I got it so that I could check it out later), and it's about 4 folders deep within a folder on my desktop. I can only imagine that this is the culprit, but I can't see how.

Anyways, I deleted this mp3 (as well as the album and artist folders it was within), and I even then emptied the recycle bin, but the cover art is still appearing in front of videos in VLC, and overriding the cover art of any other mp3 that I play from the desktop. And it`s odd, because if I play an mp3 from anywhere but the desktop, even from within the same folder that the mystery-thumbnail was in, it shows the proper cover art for the mp3. If I move that mp3 to the desktop, it shows the mystery-thumbnail. If I then move the mp3 back off of the desktop, the proper cover art is shown again. So it`s not over-writing the cover art on the mp3 itself, it`s just superimposing it when it`s played from the desktop.

This is really strange. Do you have any more ideas? Thanks!
~Joe

#6 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

Try this....

Where you turned on the 'show hidden folders' also un-tick the 'hide protected operating system files'

then check your desktop and the folder again. And also look in here for the offending jpeg

C:\Documents and Settings\myuserid\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\Art Cache\LocalMLS

#7 defwack

defwack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

There it is!

I unchecked the "hide protected OS files" thing, and a little message popped up saying "do you really want to do this?" I hit "yes" and nothing happened, so I figured there was nothing to see, so I checked it back again and clicked "apply." Then I tried looking in the "localmls" folder, and again saw nothing. Then I thought maybe I should re-try showing the protected OS files again, just in case there were protected OS files in the localmls folder, and when I went to do it this time, I realized that even though I'd clicked OK on the "do you really want to do this?" message, I hadn't clicked "apply" after clicking OK to that warning. When I clicked "apply" this time, the mystery-thumbnail appeared on the desktop!

There were actually four copies of it (variations of large, small, and folder versions), as well as two desktop.ini files.

Is it okay to delete all of these? I'm pretty sure it's okay to delete the album-art pics, but what about the desktop.ini files? I don't know if they're related to the thumbnails, or if they're another part of the desktop and should be left there. Their folder paths are

C:\users\public\public desktop
and
C:\users\Joe\desktop

The public one says it was modified on October 19, 2010, and the Joe one says it was modified on December 18, 2010. The mystery-thumbnail also has a modified date of December 18, 2010. I don't know if that means they're related or not, but I don't want to delete the desktop.ini files if I need them for my desktop! If it is safe to delete them though, I will.

Thanks for all your help with this! I am still stumped as to how/why they got there, but at least now I know that they are there.

~Joe

#8 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Hooray! :thumbsup:

Yes you can delete the image files, they are from 'windows media player' and it creates them when you let it find missing information from the internet about your songs (not something i'ld recommend).You also get them as gifts from friends who like to use Media player and then send you music :)

And The desktop.ini file.............quote...

"Desktop.ini is used to tell Windows how to display a folder. For example, enabling Thumbnail view creates a desktop.ini file in that folder which amongst other things, tells Windows to add an extra item to the View menu for that folder. Desktop.ini files are also used when you customize folders, change their icons etc."

If deleteing the images doesn't work, delete the desktop.ini file (WHICH IS IN THE SAME FOLDER AS THE IMAGES) aswell, otherwise leave it.
Deleteing the desktop.ini file won't break anything, just your preferences for that particular folder.

#9 defwack

defwack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

Thanks for all your help 666philb! I was able to delete all of the image and .ini files and the media players are no longer displaying the mysterious album cover. I don't use WMP myself very often (and I don't have it set to find missing art anyways), but I know that the friend who sent me the music does use it all the time, so I figure you're probably onto something when you said it might be a 'gift' from him ;-)

I don't recall ever having that specific file on the desktop, but it might have just been a glitch or artifact when I transferred the containing folder across. In any case, now I know what happened, and my OCD "Why is that happening?" voice-in-my-head is silent. About that particular issue anyhow :-/

Thanks again!
~Joe

Edited by defwack, 05 January 2011 - 10:23 PM.

#10 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

Glad to have helped!

phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users