Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I uninstalled Windows Live Essentials Help!!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sassyblu

sassyblu

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

I have Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. It had Windows Live Essentials with Windows LIve Messenger installed. My hard drive got full and I deleted the Essentials thinking I could download the Messenger program and use it alone. I was wrong. The Windows Live Essential download from Microsoft says it's not a valid win32 program so I can't reinstall it. When I try to reinstall the Messenger it says it's already installed. Whenever I try to log into my Windows Live Messenger program I get this popup screen..."Signing into Windows Live Messenger has failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again" Error code 80040154 I can't uninstall the program either. I don't know what to do next.

sassyblu

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

The Windows Live Essential download from Microsoft says it's not a valid win32 program so I can't reinstall it.

It sounds like you downloaded the Vista/Windows 7 version.

Make sure you use this one:
http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials-xp

#3 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

You said that your hard drive is full it might be that it can't download the file from the site because it really doesn't have enough room. I would run disk cleanup and glary utilities.

Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Disk Cleanup
you then select pretty much every checkbox on there to remove old temp files.

You can download Glary Utilities from here.

Then try to redownload the Live essentials pack from here

Good Luck

#4 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

Then try to redownload the Live essentials pack from here

Good Luck

That link goes to the Vista/Windows 7 version, they are using XP, available at the link previously posted

#5 sassyblu

sassyblu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

You are right. so I installed Windows Live Essentials and I still get the same error message when I try to log on to the messenger. What now? Please help.

#6 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

Ok, we're gaining ground :thumbup2:

Try the fixes shown here:
http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=f427b98c-8fc9-4e0c-9931-859ddf8caa69

and see if they work.

#7 sassyblu

sassyblu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

I did all those things above PolaBar and we still have the same error message. I didn't see any other answers on that website. I hope you can help.

#8 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:35 PM

When you followed the 1st step and re-registered Msxml3.dll, did it succeed or did you have to go to step 3 and reinstall it?

#9 sassyblu

sassyblu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:22 PM

It re-registered successfully and then I restarted my pc twice trying to log on to live messenger. I really appreciate you hanging in here with me. It's getting late here..
Then I downloaded the file and installed it. It still didn't work.

Edited by sassyblu, 01 January 2011 - 11:24 PM.

#10 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:29 PM

Yeah, late here too, this will have to be my last post for the night but we can continue tomorrow. What anti-virus and firewall are you using?

#11 sassyblu

sassyblu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:37 PM

Charter Security Suite which is:
F-Secure Anti-Virus 9.10 build 15261
and has a firewall in it. I also am using AVG temporarily because I had a virus that the other one couldn't remove. Have a nice evening :)

#12 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:10 AM

Ok, first thing you need to do is pick one antivirus to use and uninstall the other one. You should never run more than one at a time as they can conflict with each other.

To ensure complete removal of AVG you will need to download and run their removal tool:AVG removal

I don't know if F-Secure has a similar tool.

After removing one or the other, try logging in again.

If still no luck, try temporarily disabling the firewall and logging in.

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

Download and save the WLM install file.

Next, download and install the free version of Revo Uninstaller from here:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

After Revo installs, open it up, click Windows Live Essentials.

Confirm that you want to uninstall WLE.

For Uninstall Mode, choose Advanced. Click Next. The uninstall will begin. Watch the screen as there may be input needed by you.

If asked which components to uninstall, select all of them.

When the uninstall is complete, if told you need to reboot, say no.

Then click Next to begin looking for leftover items. Check only the bold entries.

To make sure you get everything, if any entries-usually the last thing listed and not in bold-have a + sign click on the + until you see more bolded items. Check those items to delete. Click next and let it find files you can safely delete.

If a reboot was required, do so after deleting files and folders.

BOOT INTO SAFE MODE. Install WLE from safe mode. Reboot into Normal mode. See if Messenger will open.

No clue if this will work for you, but when I have had a few issues in the past with WLM, this is what worked for me. Leftover entries can cause issues and the uninstaller provided by Windows does not do as good a job as Revo when it comes to getting rid of entries associated with a program.

#14 sassyblu

sassyblu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

@ PolaBar Uninstall of AVG antivirus program completed.
@ Queen Evie I opened up Revo and it doesn't list WLE anywhere. I had looked before since I have this program. I looked again. I don't know why it's not listed. What else can it be under?

#15 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:55 PM

Did you finish the rest of the steps?
(with the firewall disabled, be sure not to go anywhere else other than the mail login)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users