Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So my mom went to a trade show and bought this laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sharonspage

sharonspage

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

My mom went to one of those electronic trade shows and bought me this laptop computer. She didn't get any info with it and I have no idea about how old it is or anything on the inside of it. Can someone please help me figure out why it seems to be so slow!!

I can tell you that it is a Compaq Evo N180. I can run a hijackthis log if that helps! Please help me make it faster or tell me how to upgrade it for school!!

Thank You so much for your time!

Sharon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

Slow in comparison to what? it is only a pentium III 1.06 ghz, its pretty old technology, is it slow in comparison to other computers of the same time era, or just not running the stuff you want it to? what OS do you have on it?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

here is what you have. link

It is very old and in my opinion. It is really not a great computer to do a whole lot on. If you are looking for something to write papers then this thing will do it but if you are doing anything online it will bog like crazy. I would recommend if you are looking for something for school is go out and get a cheap netbook for around 300 or buy a new laptop for around 400. Any of the cheap computers that you buy today will be far better then this computer (no disrespect to your mom as getting a laptop is nice gesture).

If you are going to use this one I would have a backup for the computer. Carbonite (Carbonite.com) or a USB thumb drive at least. The thing that I would be most concerned about is the hard drive in this thing. I normally replace my hard drives every 3-4 years as the life span on them don't seem to last as long as they should.

If you are wanting to upgrade it the only thing that I would recommend is the memory. You can get up to 1 GB in there but it would cost around 150 (Crucial)and for 150 more you got a new laptop.

Good Luck

#4 sharonspage

sharonspage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

It just seems really slow to just try and google things or look up things on wiki. I'm not trying to play any type of hardcore games but I do have online classes that will be starting up soon and it's making me nervous that this laptop will not be up to performing up to those standards.

She paid $200 for it. I wish I would have known that she was thinking of buying that because I would've have just taken the money and applied it towards a new laptop with all the functions that I truly need.

So in everyone's opinion- is there anyway I can make this work for me? Or should I try to return it (if even possible). She told me that the person she bought it from would return it but will only give her $150 back. I'm just worried that since she has to mail it out of state to return it to the guy that he might just end up keeping the laptop AND the money she bought it for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Sharon

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

Well, chances are its running slow simply because it is slow. I would say if you can return it, it might be a good idea, though it was nice of your mom to do that. Another option would be using a Linux variant such as Ubuntu on it, if you can run your online classes and papers and all that using linux, it may be an option-Linux isnt as resource hungry as windows is and makes better use of available power, so it will likely run faster using linux. Only catch is, linux isnt always as user friendly, you can try downloading a linux live CD such as Ubuntu You can boot it up off of just the CD so you can get a feel for it if you like it or not or if it will run your programs, and then if you like it install it (it will perform better installed) Or you can visit our Linuxsection of the forums to learn more about it and what versions are available. But I see that as your only 2 real options if its to slow for you.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

So in everyone's opinion- is there anyway I can make this work for me? Or should I try to return it (if even possible). She told me that the person she bought it from would return it but will only give her $150 back. I'm just worried that since she has to mail it out of state to return it to the guy that he might just end up keeping the laptop AND the money she bought it for.

I would not send it back. If the guys was even remotely honest he would not have sold her that old of a laptop. And the same guy only wants to give her 150 of the 200 back. Sounds real shady.

I was thinking of the ubuntu thing as well but I don't think he really has a heck of a lot of RAM for it to be real feasible to run. You can however download it and burn it to a cd to give it a try. All you would have to do is boot off the CD. This doesn't install it on the computer but it throws it in the RAM and allows you to play with it and see if you like it. For a student it would have much of what you need. Click Here to get the software. You will need a CD and a burner and if you are doing it off this laptop chances are you don't have one.

My recommendation is save up your money and go and get a cheap laptop from walmart or check the Dell Outlet for deals (the Dell Outlet has refurbished machines for sale that are much cheaper than new ones with the same warranty).

uByte

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

You should invest on buying a netbook because schools in Australia uses netbook for educational purposes.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

How much memory does it currently have? It can take a max of 1G so if you have less than that it would help to max out the RAM. However, it's still an old computer so it will always run slow compared to a more modern computer. I looked briefly at eBay and saw a few Pentium III laptops listed for less than $100 so I think your mom got fleeced.

I'd be leery of installing Linux on it as you might have trouble finding drivers for some of the built-in components. You could try running a Linux live-cd to see how well it works.

What browser are you using? If using Internet Explorer, you might try FireFox or Chrome to see if those speedup your web experience.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

How much memory does it currently have? It can take a max of 1G so if you have less than that it would help to max out the RAM. However, it's still an old computer so it will always run slow compared to a more modern computer. I looked briefly at eBay and saw a few Pentium III laptops listed for less than $100 so I think your mom got fleeced.

I'd be leery of installing Linux on it as you might have trouble finding drivers for some of the built-in components. You could try running a Linux live-cd to see how well it works.

What browser are you using? If using Internet Explorer, you might try FireFox or Chrome to see if those speedup your web experience.

I have to agree with you, you can a laptop/desktop with a pentium III on ebay for a really cheap price.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users