Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access Facebook or Hotmail

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wendy p

wendy p

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

I can't connect to Facebook through my Verizon FIOS connection. I can connect using my old Earthlink dial-up on the same computer (kept to access email if high speed is down). Any ad that appears on a web page having anything to do with facebook and linking to facebook doesn't display and just has the cannot connect screen. I get the same result using IE and firefox.

I was able to get in yesterday morning but not in the evening. The only thing that happened in the interim was a virus/spyware etc scan which only found a couple cookies (ie doubleclick) - nothing that appeared to have anything to do with Facebook.

At the same time I started having trouble downloading my Hotmail email into Outlook Express. Must confess that I get a lot of email to that account from Facebook but I get a few from Facebook to another email account and that one is still working. When I log onto the Hotmail website through Verizon, I get a really screwy display (looks like all text and red boxes instead of graphics) and it's not functional. I am able to log in using my dial-up and was able to clear out the inbox that way.

I have done a system restore to a point when all this was still working. I cleared out cookies and temporary internet files through internet options in control panel.

I'm running windows XP, IE 8 and current Firefox

Any suggestions appreciated as I'm clueless where to go from here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Harvey Mechanic

Harvey Mechanic

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

This morning, and at several other times in the past, I was not
able to access my inbox in Hotmail. During those times, though, I
was able to access hotmail folders through their mobile.live.com
which is for mobile devices.

You can, however, access that mobile.live.com though Firefox by
spoofing.

When in firefox install the add-on "Modify Headers" which is
available at
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/967/

Then, after you restart Firefox you would go to Tools and click on
"Modify Headers" to open its configuration window
Use drop down box near the top left to click "add"
In first box type in User-agent
In second box type in:
Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE51-1/100.34.20;
Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML,
Gecko) Safari/413
Save by hitting "Add" on the right.
That User agent is now showing a green light as it is enabled.
and close the "Modify Headers" window

Your Firefox is not going to spoof as a mobile device. When you
want to disable that feature, just go to tools and click on "Modify
Headers" and "Disable All" on the right and the user-agent will
show a red light and your Firefox will be back to normal. Then
close the "Modify Headers" window.

#3 lemme14

lemme14

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:49 AM

Same problem here (both Facebook and Hotmail). Noticed it last night as well. Still cannot access today. I cannot access from my iMac, Macbook or PC running Windows XP. I cannot access from my iPhone 4, 3GS or iPad if the Wi-Fi is on. However, if I turn off the Wi-Fi and use the 3G connection I can access Facebook. It doesn't work with my Airport Extreme or my Netgear Wireless router. My wireless provider is Verizon FIOS. I also connected the PC running Windows directly to the Verizon router and it still didn't work. I don't know what the issue is but it sure sounds like it is something on Verizon's end. Hopefully they get it fixed soon.

#4 lemme14

lemme14

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

Let me throw another level of uncertainty into the issue. I can access Facebook and Hotmail on my NookColor using the same Wi-Fi connection. That is the only device in the house that has access over the Wi-Fi. Every other computer or device cannot find the server.

#5 somdcomputerguy

somdcomputerguy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

My g/f told me this morning that she couldn't get to facebook. So I tried it and got a 'could not find the server' message page. However I was able to successfully connect to facebook thru a proxy. Since I don't use facebook hardly at all, I'm in not much of a hurry to figure this out. If anybody finds a resolution and posts it here, that'd be great though.

add: BTW, this issue happens on a laptop running Win 7. I have another laptop on this network running Vista, but it's down right now for probably a lengthy time, so I can't use it. Our neighbor (with same ISP) has not had any problems getting to facebook.

Edited by somdcomputerguy, 01 January 2011 - 12:26 PM.

-bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

#6 Zepmoon

Zepmoon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

Same thing has happen to me. I can't access facebook from any device that is using my wireless or wired network. I can get there on my ipad using 3G. Anyone figure this our or know the fix?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users