Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MFC42u.dll error and or corruption

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 qtechie

qtechie

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:20 AM

Hello,

I have had this problem for many months, but now decided to try and fix it. Every time I start msconfig, mspaint.exe, or mmc.exe I get the following error:

for msconfig it would be:

-----------------------------

msconfig.exe - Bad Image

C:\Windows\system32\MFC42u.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.
Try installing the program again using the origianl installation media or contact your system
administrator or software vendor for support.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Then windows goes into check online for a solution to the problem. But doesn't find any solutions.

I have tried to run the sfc /scannow in the cmd administrator. It detects errors among them the mfc42u.dll but is not able to correct them. I also ran some disk checking. I have also tried to download various mfc42u.dll and copy them over my current corrupted dll, but that just leads to more problems with not registering the dll in the registry and stuff. So I just went back to my old corrupted and current dll.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:46 AM

Microsoft Foundation Classes Library (mfc42u.dll) is a required item for running many parts on your system -
Do you have any install disks or backup from about 3 months ago (when you claim this started) -

#3 qtechie

qtechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:03 AM

Yes I have my vista install disks, but I don't want to do a clean install.

As for a backup, I do not think so. I guess I can do a system restore, but I would prefer not to lose any programs if possible.

Isn't there any way I can just install the correct version through reinstalling the microsoft foundation class library somehow.

#4 qtechie

qtechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

bump.

Anyone that can help me?

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:40 AM

"Bad image" error is often caused by some infections, but let's check something first.

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

64-bit users go HERE
  • Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Vista users:: Right click on SystemLook.exe, click Run As Administrator
  • Copy the content of the following box into the main textfield:
    :filefind
    mfc42u.dll

• Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 qtechie

qtechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

Thank you to all who helped.

I just decided to do a clean re install and it fixed the problem.

The problem may have been from a failing hard drive. My hard drive was going downhill for months, until it finally could not pass the SMART test. Got a new hard drive, and clean install, now all is well.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

Thank you for posting back :)

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users