Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PREVENT INSANITY - HELP ME SET DEFAULT PROGRAM

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:38 PM

I DO NOT HANDLE FRUSTRATION WELL. Help me finish out this year NOT FRUSTRATED PLEASE.

I AM TRYING to SET a WP Program, ABI (a good free one), as my default program. But when I open up the SET DEFAULT PROGRAM it will never show ABI so I can select it? I need to do some documents for a very important project but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this.

I have PDF documents I download from the net with the help of NUANCE Free software that are converted to documents you can work with. Once its converted and I try to open it with ABI, I can't because even though ABI shows as being installed it will never show up when I need to actually use it? This is making me even crazier than I usually am so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP prevent loss of shreds of sanity!

I have MSI laptop Windows 7 32/64 bit system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bandrews

bandrews

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

this may help:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100411163431AAyL0tk

basically, if ABI doesn't show up in the list of 'open with..' you can usually browse to 'choose program'. point to the ABI exe file and be sure to check always use this program.

#3 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

this may help:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100411163431AAyL0tk

basically, if ABI doesn't show up in the list of 'open with..' you can usually browse to 'choose program'. point to the ABI exe file and be sure to check always use this program.

You know, thats what I thought and I used this program before a couple of months ago but it wouldn't work so I downloaded it again and now, just a few minutes ago, I managed to go into the part where you associated extensions with programs and I somehow managed to get ABI set for docx which is what I am working with now but when I tried to open it, it just like opened something and then disappeared. I don't know what is happening and I don't know how to describe it any better though I'm sure I'm not doing a very good job.

I think no matter how much I need to get this going I must put it aside because I'm getting nowhere and I really really am so frustrated I can barely see, at which point nothing I do seems to be productive so I'm going to put myself in timeout.

Thank you for your comment, I thought that is what I did somewhere along the line but when I get this confused and frustrated I'm doing good to remember my name.

As if that weren't bad enough, then I get frustrated with me because I get frustrated with the latest technology that no matter how up to date just doesn't work.

Happy New Year btw, may it bring peace of mind to all.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

Try uninstalling it and then reinstall it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:08 AM

Try uninstalling it and then reinstall it.

Thank you. I did try that to no avail. Since given up on setting it as a default as time was pressing. Maybe in the future I will try getting some input from Microsoft although its hard to get much out of them.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

Try using a tool like Revo Uninstaller to uninstall the program, and then reinstall it.

The link that I've provided will take you to a site where you can download the program. There are two versions of this at the site, the Professional and Free. I would suggest that you try the Free.

Please be aware:
Recently many free downloaded programs are including unwanted or unneeded third party software. For this reason it is importanat that when you open a program and begin the installation you need to read and understand what you are being offered. Often there will be a third party software which will already have a check mark in the acceptance box that if left that way will install the third party software. This may or maynot be applicable to the download that I've suggested.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:53 AM

Try using a tool like Revo Uninstaller to uninstall the program, and then reinstall it.

The link that I've provided will take you to a site where you can download the program. There are two versions of this at the site, the Professional and Free. I would suggest that you try the Free.

Please be aware:
Recently many free downloaded programs are including unwanted or unneeded third party software. For this reason it is importanat that when you open a program and begin the installation you need to read and understand what you are being offered. Often there will be a third party software which will already have a check mark in the acceptance box that if left that way will install the third party software. This may or maynot be applicable to the download that I've suggested.

Thanks for the very helpful info. That looks like a good program to have and yes, I do watch out for the inevitable extras that seem to come with the good stuff! :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users