Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Layout Question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 What The Who

What The Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:33 AM

So, I leaning towards getting this MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI mobo, and I have a question about the layout.

First, here the mobo;
Posted Image

And the specs for it are here; MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI from Newegg.

All I really need to know is;
1) Which slots are the PCI Express x16 (for the Video Cards)?
2) Which slot is for the Audio card (I know it has onboard sound, but I'm getting a Creative Audigy)?
3) Will this be able to hold 2 7800 GTX 512mb or should I just go with the 7800GTX 256mb?

I haven't bought any of the parts yet, as I want to save up and get them all at once, but here's My Newegg Wishlist.

Any and all help and comments will be greatly appreciated.
"If it doesn't make sense... It's probably true."

- Arlo Guthrie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:26 AM

The two longest slots are the PCIe x16 slots for the graphics card, and the soundcard goes in any of the red/white PCI slots left of the PCIe slots. Based on the pictures I think two 7800GTX 512MB should fit on it. There is a slight chance though that the card to the left wouldn't fit because of the fan.

On another note, that mobo doesn't support dual core processors.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:10 AM

Reading the specs. on the link you provided, you should be able to put 1 gb sticks of RAM. It has 4 slots (two green, tow purple) and the description stated it can support up to 4 gb of RAM. With the money you are spending, I would put the two sticks of 1 gb RAM. Are you going to run XP 64bit as your OS?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:12 PM

Wrong. With a simple BIOS update any 939 mobo will suppourt the X2 series. Anyway, I would advise against two 7800gt's running in SLi. Honestly the performance increase is tiny (only about 15fps more) and you pay twice as much, simply not worth it in my eyes.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#5 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:35 PM

Wrong. With a simple BIOS update any 939 mobo will suppourt the X2 series. Anyway, I would advise against two 7800gt's running in SLi. Honestly the performance increase is tiny (only about 15fps more) and you pay twice as much, simply not worth it in my eyes.

You are mostly correct Welco, but you don't need to update the BIOS to support the X2 series. According to
MSI's product page, it comes Dual Core ready.

Acklan; I'm getting the OCZ Titanium 2gb (2x 1gb) RAM. And I'm not sure what OS system I'm going with yet. Probably XP 64-bit. That sounds fun.

As for the Graphics cards... I'm probably going to get one 7800GTX 256mb to start. I just wanted to be sure the option of putting 2 512mb's is there.

Next Question, What are the slots between the PCI Express x16 slots for?

- Arlo Guthrie

#6 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:33 PM

I'm not so sure about 2x7800gtx 512's on that mobo, it would be tight. 2x7800gtx 256's will fit fine.
If your after a mobo to house 2x512's i would suggest the Asus A8N-sli (deluxe or premium), the Asus boards have alot more space between the cards. I ran 2x6600gt's for a bit on my A8N deluxe and had enough room for the retention clip (which is one pci slot) and a pci exhuast blower fan between the two cards.
I've just upgraded to a BFG 7800GTXoc 256MB, great cards!

#7 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:43 PM

Dear WTO,

Why?

I have seen the Mother board you want and I ask why? What video games do you plan to play? What game needs dual video cards? The middle slot between the vid cards could be a possible faster communication extension.

Why?

CPU's have not increased in speed, so what does it matter on hard drive, vid card or ram? Sure you can have the best speed to the CPU but program values come into factor. Who goes first? You can bet it's the business end.

Why?

Money comes from daily use and we gamers are beat by millions of daily use types. So the CPU companies will not increase anything faster then the need of the business world. Game companies know this and so does computer parts manufactures.

So go and buy all the fast stuff that will make no difference now, maybe it might be worth something next year but not in dollar.

Let me know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:25 AM

Acklan; I'm getting the OCZ Titanium 2gb (2x 1gb) RAM. And I'm not sure what OS system I'm going with yet. Probably XP 64-bit. That sounds fun.

I miss understood you. I thought you were referring to system RAM, not onboard video RAM. :thumbsup: . If you can afford it why not dual boot XP Pro and XP 64? After all it is just for gaming :flowers: .

Edited by acklan, 09 December 2005 - 02:26 AM.

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:56 AM

Your right, it does say dual core ready. But the funny thing is: a little further down the page it does not list the X2s as supported processors.

There are games that have problems running on XP 64-bit.

Wrong. With a simple BIOS update any 939 mobo will suppourt the X2 series.

Provided there is such a BIOS update to be had.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:47 AM

Chief Jedi Master; The Asus A8N-SLI is my second choice mobo, though it may quickly move to my first choice if the MSI stays out of stock much longer.

Junkdk; A much better question would be, if I have the money to spend, why not?

Acklan; I may just do that. I'll have to do some more research into XP 64 though.

Anyone know what the 2 slots between the PCI Express slots are for?

- Arlo Guthrie

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:46 AM

Can't tell and the factory site does not say.

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:07 AM

That between the PCIx slots isn't two slots at all but the SLI chip you flip around when switching from SLI to non-SLI mode.

I would also personally prefer ASUS's A8N-SLI over this motherboard. Or if you have money to spend the A8N32-SLI which would give you true SLI PCIx16. Even with only one video card I would prefer its superior performance.

Even though welco makes SLI sound worse than it is, I'd still agree with the popular opinion here; getting two cards isn't worth it. Within two years there is going to be a single card that can beat both of them and also have all the latest technological tricks which you two 7800GTX 512 won't have. Rather buy a new card every year if you've got the money to spend. Besides, I don't think you've got a fast enough processor to be able to fully use even one 7800GTX 512.

#13 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:08 PM

The 2 slots between the 2 pci-e x16 sli slots are pci-e x1 slots..........i've not seen any new tech hardware out that uses these "new" slots but it seems all sli boards have them, plus they are not really placed that well on the mobo to even be used if your running 2 graphics cards, maybe future pci-e graphics cards may take up the new slot (seeing they are getting so big) and the pci-e x16......................who knows!?

As for the SLI argument, 2 is obviously faster than one, but if your planning on running 2 high end cards like the 7800GTX's on anything smaller than a 20" LCD monitor then your not gonna see all the extra performance as currently there is no CPU on the market that can keep up with 2 of these cards, in other words the CPU will bottleneck your system. But if you have a big LCD monitor with high native resolutions then 2 of these cards will make a big difference in performance because all the rendering of the millions of pixels per frame and 60+ frames per second in games will be handled by the 2 graphics cards. This is something that 1 card (even the mighty 7800gtx) would struggle to do on it's own.

Hope that makes sense,
Chief.

#14 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 02:22 AM

The 2 slots between the 2 pci-e x16 sli slots are pci-e x1 slots...

Nope, the MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI board's only PCIe x1 is in the second PCIe x16. It does not have any other PCIe x1 slots.

#15 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 01:12 AM

Those slots, as stated before are for switching on and off SLi. Another problem I see is that it looks like the chipset fan is too close to the PCI-e slot I'm not certain you could fit a 512mb 7800gt, but, I could most definitely be wrong.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users