Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Both Ctrl keys have stopped working.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lorbarr

lorbarr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

I use Norton Internet Security. Several days ago I subscribed to the Mozy Home backup service. I had to make some system changes before Mozy would work. After leaving my computer on several hours for the backup, I noticed that both of my Ctrl keys had stopped working. I immediately ran full virus scans with Norton, MalwareBytes, and SuperAntiSpyware, but none of them located any malware.

I am convinced that the system changes I made to allow Mozy were somehow related to the problem. I have uninstalled Mozy. I also have used KeyTweak to remap the Context Menu button to Left Ctrl so that I have at least one working Ctrl key. That worked: I can now use the Context Menu key for Ctrl. However, none of my KeyTweak remap efforts with the Ctrl keys worked--they remain dead (for example, I tried to remap Left Ctrl to Caps Lock, but even that didn't work--the Ctrl keys are totally dead).

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard driver, but that didn't work.

I am posting a HiJacks log. I assume that this is more of a registry or software problem. Why would both Ctrl keys simultaneously stop working when all other keys continue to work fine?

Log removed as such are restricted to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum where we focus on malware removal. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 31 December 2010 - 08:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lorbarr

lorbarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

OK, I wasn't really sure where to post this issue (the keyboard not working correctly).

#3 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

Do you have another keyboard you can try?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hello,

I have removed your new topic from the log forum as your issue does not appear to be malware related.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,961 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:51 PM

Have you tried a system restore to a point prior to installing Mozy?

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 lorbarr

lorbarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

I had turned off System Restore because I once had malware that seemed to reinstall itself using System Restore. So I can't use System Restore for this problem, unfortunately. I have once again started it, though, so it will be there if I need it in the future. I haven't yet been able to try another keyboard--that will be my next step, I guess! I'm not optimistic, however, because what are the chances of both Ctrl keys going out when all other keys still work?

#7 lorbarr

lorbarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

It was simply the old keyboard. Thanks for your assistance!

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,961 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

You're welcome. I'm glad your problems are sorted. ~ OB

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users