Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Start Delay

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eracet

eracet

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

I currently have a problem with a long delay on when installing a new program or updating.

Here is what happens.

I install anything such as game, program, windows definition update, basically anything.
Everything is fine with PC until I start install. Then any running programs say not responding, explorer lags and anything that is on goes unavailable. The install never does take off until about 10+ minutes then start to see install running. Once the install starts running , everything goes back to normal.

Here is what I have checked.

Antivirus disabled, all programs disabled. Except install.
Disabled processes
Checked video drivers.
Ran Resource monitor (no system drains) all sits idle until is starts installing process.
Checked Directxdiag no issues

Here are my specs.
Win7 Pro 64
4gb DDR2
Geforce GTS 250
Geforce 8600 GTS
Intel E8400

I have troubleshot all I can think of, this happened around the same time as firefox 4 beta. Not sure if its related to that or not. I totally kill the program and it still happens.
Seems to be when the pc is running configuration check from what I can tell.
Another thing that is odd I it happens with any install even MS updates.
I also did a HIJACKTHIS scan and seen some with missing files , heard it may be overlapping software. Even though I only run Avast! Free and windows defaults besides those.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I attached a log file of what HIJACKTHIS came up with.

I am almost sure that this is not virus or spyware related.
The HIJACKTHIS log is just for troubleshooting purposes

Merged posts and removed HJT log. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 01 January 2011 - 08:57 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Malware Removal Logs ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

Hello,

I've moved your HiJack This log which is a log restricted to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum where we focus on malware removal and I'm moving your topic back to Windows 7.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 eracet

eracet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:29 AM

Here is my latest findings.
Uninstalled Seagate program. That I only used on an external HDD.
Watched resource monitor closely, and seen that when installing anything, if firefox is up , it puts it as unavailable really soon.
This may be because its the only program up and running at the time.
I also notice that Disk highest activity time is maxed out.
It also puts everything on disk to read, no writing going on when starting install.
Then there are only a few programs reading the disk. One I found interesting is svchost.exe (LocalServiceRestricted)and that seems to be always reading and writing.

No memory spikes, or cpu spikes.

Looks as though its looking for configuration but cannot find it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users