Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tiff0725

tiff0725

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:53 PM

Hello everyone

I'm having a serious problem with my HP Pavilion Desktop Computer. I turned on my computer and it started up normally, showing the HP logo, but after that all I see is a black screen.

Now I've tried almost everything...Restarting the computer, giving it some time, Resetting the BIOS, checking to see if it was a device that was giving the problem, and now I'm lost. I downloaded ubuntu so I could save all my files and then later do a System Recovery. I try to press F10 and System Recovery Won't work. Safe Mode (F8 or F12) wont work either. I press it and nothing happens, but if i press F1(setup) it works.

It is an old computer (5 years) and my parents are getting me a new computer for the summer, but I just need my computer to work until then. The model is HP Pavilion a1640n. Please help, anyone. Even if you are unsure, I'll try anything.

Thanks, Tiffany

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:55 PM

A Good Place To Start

Louis

#3 tiff0725

tiff0725
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:00 PM

Thanks, but I have tried that as well...many of the steps dont apply because I'm not having a monitor problem.

Also, some require me to get into Safe Mode, which I am unable to :(

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

Hi tiff0725 -
Do you get the "start up beep" when you turn on the computer as the XP screen is about to open ??
Just prior to the black screen is there a XP logon screen or just directly to the black/blank screen or any item displayed at all ??

#5 Adams A Plus

Adams A Plus

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:09 PM

Hi tiff0725 -
Do you get the "start up beep" when you turn on the computer as the XP screen is about to open ??
Just prior to the black screen is there a XP logon screen or just directly to the black/blank screen or any item displayed at all ??

If he gets to the screen that asks for Safe Mode, Last Known... Etc, then the computer has already past the POST.

There is a problem with the Start-up. Do you have your Recovery Disk? If you do a repair with the disks.
CompTIA A+, CompTIA Net+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Windows Vista, MSITP: Enterprise Support
DCSE

#6 tiff0725

tiff0725
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

I know I'm a bit late, but I took the computer to a technician and it failed all 3 of the diagnostic tests, so I would have to replace the motherboard and go through all this trouble so I've just decided to get a new computer. Thanks all that tried to help.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for letting us know, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users