Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help w/ Event 1000 (sysmain fault), Event 55 (corrupt Volume Shadow Copy) + more

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kghastie

kghastie

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

Hi, all. I have been trying to figure out a serious of issues that my PC has been having. It's possible they were caused by poorly seated RAM, but the RAM seems to check out now. There is a whole slew of details on the case here: TechNet with a lot more information that will be of help, including posted evtx files. I have always gotten great help here, though, and am in dire need of a second opinion, so I thought I would check with this forum's experts.

Here is the basic gist, although there is a ton more detail on the other link:

Since building this machine, I've had frequent BSODs, often seemingly-related to middle of the night MSE updates, or possibly other windows updates. These always required a System Restore to recover from, as Windows was unbootable. Often it said the Restore failed, but it seemed to resolved the bootability issue at least.

I have removed MSE and reseated some RAM that initially tested poorly, but which now seems to be passing MemTest no problem.

I still have a series of issues that occur, and the one that was causing noticeable issues was SuperFetch causing sysmain.dll to fault (Event 1000, posted below) on every boot and periodically throughout the day. I have disabled SuperFetch, which stopped the issue from happening every boot, but it still happens occasionally, so it seems SuperFetch is but one trigger.

The other most common error I have is Event 55 (posted below), possibly related to Windows Backup and/or System Restore, which seems to indicate that I am having a problem with Volume Shadow Copying (also see Events 13 and 8293 below).

I also have frequent Event 1001 (posted below) issues like this one, with many different Event Names.

There is a history of the investigation at the link above that provides a lot more information, including a filtered clip of the events from last night which show a lot of interesting things.

Any help or guidance would be massively appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Event 1000, Application Error:
Faulting application name: svchost.exe_SysMain, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc3c1
Faulting module name: sysmain.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be07e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000002bd02
Faulting process id: 0x214
Faulting application start time: 0x01cba8ab6f925e25
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: c:\windows\system32\sysmain.dll
Report Id: a5c442f4-14af-11e0-a543-6cf049e0cfc7

Event 55, NTFS:
The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy9.

Event 13, VSS:
Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID {4e14fba2-2e22-11d1-9964-00c04fbbb345} and name CEventSystem cannot be started. [0x80070422, The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
] 

Operation:
   Subscribing Writer

Context:
   Writer Class Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
   Writer Name: WMI Writer
   Writer Instance ID: {c0db0500-3f4a-439c-981f-602b9b7d1d3a}

Event 8193, VSS:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80070422, The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Operation:
   Subscribing Writer

Context:
   Writer Class Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
   Writer Name: WMI Writer
   Writer Instance ID: {c0db0500-3f4a-439c-981f-602b9b7d1d3a}

Event 1001, Windows Error Reporting:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)