Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't remove rogue security program

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dpcary

dpcary

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:32 AM

First post here.

I have the rogue virus that states that each file is infected and tells you to turn on antivirus software.

First it is wuauclt.exe, then ipconfig.exe and so on.

I have booted to safe mode and run malwarebytes. Interestingly I just downloaded it a month ago or so for another problem which it fixed. I can't update anymore since I can only run in safe mode and my database is 22 days old. I have scanned and it found 2 programs which were deleted (I didn't record them). That didn't help. I've run rkill and it found nothing. I rebooted normally and same problem.

I had deleted wuauclt.exe 1st as somewhere it said to do that - didn't help.

I have to admit that I had windows update turned off and hadn't done it in a while. I also haven't done anything dangerous in awhile but I think this has been in the background for over 6 months. I had klite codec (since deleted) and I have been a torrent user (but not in 6 months).

I appreciate any help. I am ready to wipe the computer clean and maybe go to Windows 7 but it has a lot of files on it that I need. Should I be nervous about moving these over to another computer?

Edited by hamluis, 31 December 2010 - 09:39 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeexEnigma

DeexEnigma

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

Off the cuff, not knowing exactly what virus specifically had infected your system, I'd say your files you wish to backup will be safe.
A virus that matches this description (Security Tool) acts in a similar way, but is a completely isolated piece of work.
Essentially it installs itself, complains, stops software from booting etc. but doesn't infect files.

Best of google what exactly you have, and what it's known to do.
There is no doubt a way to remove it, but it might not be worth it over a full re-install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users