Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Roms Showing as "Unknown" in DM

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Allmanman

Allmanman

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:03 PM

Hi all, My PC is running WinXP Pro, custom built (see my signature area for specs).I have 2 combo drives (one SATA,one IDE).They were working fine until I installed iTunes. They now show in Device manager as Unknown Devices. I've googled my butt off and tried several solutions suggested elsewhere. The problem remains. The drives do work but only at their slowest speeds when ripping or burning a cd. Here's what I tried as suggested on my google hits for this problem:

Do the drives show in the BIOS during boot up: Yes (therefore a software/registry problem)

Try re-installing Itunes: Did not fix problem

Un-installed iTunes: Problem remains

Nero (conflict) could be a possible problem : Un-installed NERO: Problem re-mains

Re-installed NERO: Problem remains

Disconnect drives and reboot, shut down, re-connect drives, re-boot: Problem remains (tried in safe mode as well)

Go into registry key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318) and delete filters: This fixed problem for others but my reg does not show any filters at all.

Went to Microsoft site and DL'ed some apps related to fixing this problem or similar: None worked.

Not sure what other info you may need. Let me know and I'll post. I'm not as good as some of you with a PC but can hold my own I think with some direction.

Any Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
"We'll raise our children in the peaceful way we can,
It's up to you and me Brother to try and try again"

- "Ain't Wastin' Time No More" - The Allman Brothers Band

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeexEnigma

DeexEnigma

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:19 PM

Just as an idea, have you tried getting the latest drivers for each drive?

Possibly what happened is the assigned drivers as dictated by windows in the first instance might not have been compatible (with whatever software) and its dumped them (for whatever reason), and using generic drivers for their use currently.

Also if you just run the SATA or IDE does it make any difference?

#3 Allmanman

Allmanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:27 PM

Did the driver updates (to no avail) but didn't try the drives one at a time. I will.

Edit: No, disconnecting one of either drive did not work

Edited by Allmanman, 30 December 2010 - 11:38 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:40 PM

Optical drives don't need any extra drivers.

They now show in Device manager as Unknown Devices

How do you know, those unknown devices are your drives?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 Allmanman

Allmanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:02 AM

Correct on the drivers Broni, I thought he was referring to the firmware. Those I checked and were up to date. Didn't think that would do anything but was at the bottom of my list of to do's.
I know they are the cd/dvd drives because they are showing the names of the drives (i.e.- ASUS DRW 20B1Lt) in the heading "Unknown devices". This is all the way at the bottom of the DM tree as opposed to being near the top in a "CDROM" heading. Now normally I would just leave it but something is causing me not to get top speeds out of my drives. Besides, it bugs the heck out of me where they are at now. Apple's solutions didn't do anything. Supposedly this problem has been going on since iTunes 7. They're now at 10. Ya think they would have a fix by now.

Do you think deleting the IDE & SATA controllers and re-installing would do anything?

Edited by Allmanman, 31 December 2010 - 12:05 AM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:08 AM

Yeah, iTunes often messes up upper- lowerfilters, but since you checked those...

Try to uninstall those "unknown devices" and restart computer.

If it does nothing....

1. http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems
Restart computer.
or...
2. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
3. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#7 Allmanman

Allmanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:10 AM

Ok,I did those things (cdgone fix it, removal of drives & reboot,deleted the two IDE's that are being used in DM & reboot). Did not work. Also un-installed/deleted "GEAR" drivers in system32, sys32/driver folders & in registry (backed up). The GEAR issue was suggested along that troubleshooting tree on the MS site (which brought me to GEAR's site) and specifically mentioned the iTunes problem. Many of the suggestions mention things such as deleting filters in the registry but as with the gear entries, the filters and some GEAR components do not exist in Windows or the registry. Some do. Man I hope I'm not looking at a re-format here. I've posted screen shots of my DM & of the Gear removal instructions so you can see where on the system things are that I am speaking of. This ones a bugger man. I even tried a sys restore back to before I put iTunes in. It went through the process then after re-boot stated that it could not install that restore point.
I appreciate your help. Ok, back to scratching head now.

Attached File  GEAR Removal.jpg   155.88KB   6 downloads

Attached File  DevMgr.jpg   74.52KB   6 downloads

#8 Allmanman

Allmanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

OK, here's what I did to fix this. Although I would not recommend this as a conventional way to fix this problem, I had to roll the dice after exhausting all possible fixes I could find here and on the NET. A reformat would have been next.
I had a backup copy of the registry from before I put iTunes in. I merged that into the registry. Upon reboot the PC rebooted on it's own when trying to load windows. I then got the good 'ol "choice" screen and picked "Last known working configuration". The PC loaded to windows. I checked device manager and my cd-roms were back in the proper place at the top of the tree under "CD/DVD Drives". I then ran my PC Tools Performance Toolkit (reg cleaner) program and removed all of the reg entries that didn't belong (from uninstalled proggies,pictures,music,that were no longer on my system). So far the system is running fine.
Note: I've been using PC Tools Reg Mechanic (I got the Performance tool kit which is a high end version) for several years now and have found it to work great without screwing up my system. Just thought I would mention in the event someone is looking for a registry cleaner. I've tried several and to me this one is the best.
Thanks to everyone for your input. I'll be back later when my system crashes from this "fix"....lol.

Happy New Year

Larry

Edited by Allmanman, 01 January 2011 - 08:29 AM.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

Generally, registry tools are not recommended, except for some cases, when they look like a last possible resort.
I'm glad, it worked for you :)

Happy New Year!

My Website

#10 Allmanman

Allmanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

Broni, I could see that since in the past I have tried other registry cleaners and ended up re-installing my printer or some other software. With this one from PC tools I never had a problem. Also,when my pc gets slow I run this reg cleaner and it helps significantly. That of course after checking for spyware, malware, virus, doing a disk clean up, and defrag first. I personally swear by this reg cleaner. To each his own though right? I test alot of programs, and add & delete tons of music (record & editing) and pictures. So a good clean is needed every so often. Thanks again for your help.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

Sure thing :)
Still (aside from your very particular issue), I've never used any registry cleaner and my computers are doing perfectly fine.

This may explain a whole subject better, than I can...

Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

My Website

#12 Allmanman

Allmanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll read it and take it under advisement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users