Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Activation Key Prompt Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 maximumrock

maximumrock

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

My dad had a problem with his laptop (HP g60-235dx w/ Windows Vista Home Premium)last week.. Here is his deal....He said last week that his laptop was running extremely slow, sometimes taking 15 mins to boot up, etc.....and it would operate very slowly... He said he tried to use System Restore but there were no restore dates.. which seemed odd to me...cuz i know it was turned on at thanksgiving when i was there...

Well, he had some company over the last few days i guess one of his friends tried fixing it.. he said he went and did some stuff into the bio's and registry or something.. Whatever this guy did must have made it worse.. Now when he boots up, he is getting a msg regarding his Windows Activation... This laptop was bought 2 yrs ago at Best Buy and has been running great since.. Not sure why he is receiving this now...Why would his product key be invalid all of the sudden?

I have never had to deal with this windows activation stuff before.. so not sure what i can recommend him to do.. He doesnt have the system recovery disc at all. So i already had him order one from HP today. That will arrive on on monday...

He already has his data all backed up.. he just wants it to be running fast again.. So, is there anything i can have him do, or any idea what could have caused this (regarding the activation issue) other than his friend messin with it?

thx in advance for the input!

Max

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:19 AM

I would replace the Real Time Clock battery...before attempting to use the restore/recovery disks.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=NB042UA, listed under Electronic Parts.

Louis

#3 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:55 AM

I would replace the Real Time Clock battery...before attempting to use the restore/recovery disks.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=NB042UA, listed under Electronic Parts.

Louis

thanks for the reply.. But being that the computer was being slow and stuff prior to the activation issue. wouldn't it be something else? Also, how much is this item? and is this common?? I know he always leaves his laptop on just about 24/7 and rarely reboots..

#4 Adams A Plus

Adams A Plus

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:20 PM

It sounds like the guy that "helped" deleted his activation registry key. You should be able to re-register it using the product key that is on the sticker. You can do this by calling or over the internet.

But probably the best for him to do, since he has everything backed up is do a factory restore. The problem sounds virus related to me.
CompTIA A+, CompTIA Net+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Windows Vista, MSITP: Enterprise Support
DCSE

#5 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

It sounds like the guy that "helped" deleted his activation registry key. You should be able to re-register it using the product key that is on the sticker. You can do this by calling or over the internet.

But probably the best for him to do, since he has everything backed up is do a factory restore. The problem sounds virus related to me.

thanks! yeah, i think once he gets that disc in the mail monday, he should just try that..he will get promoted to do a factory restore right>? cuz i dont want him to have 2 Vista's on laptop.. he did that once back in the XP days..was a pain..

#6 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

Hola.. My dad got his 2 recovery DVD's in the mail the other day and tried recovering to factory settings.. he said he gets the following msg..

The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible?

1. Insert your windows installation disc & restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

Enter=Continue?"

It will be a few weeks before i can make it up to where he lives.. any suggestions for this error, or should i start a new thread? thanks!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

I would start another topic, with a title that defines current situation.

FWIW, I did a Google on that error and it doesn't look promising to me...you might take a look at some of the comments made, particularly the MS Technet ones.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Status%3A+0xc000000f%0D%0AThe+boot+selection+failed+because+a+required+device+is+inaccessible&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en

Louis

#8 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

I would start another topic, with a title that defines current situation.

FWIW, I did a Google on that error and it doesn't look promising to me...you might take a look at some of the comments made, particularly the MS Technet ones.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Status%3A+0xc000000f%0D%0AThe+boot+selection+failed+because+a+required+device+is+inaccessible&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en

Louis

yikes! thanks louis!! willdo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users