Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My email address sent SPAM!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 animesaint

animesaint

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

I noticed when I checked my main email that my secondary email, a yahoo email, sent me an email with a link in it. I found that it was sent to many other email addresses in the secondary email's list. I was scared that it got hijacked so i logged in, which was successful, but then i saw that it sent the same message to itself and in the junk boxes there were two emails labeled something like "delivery failure".

I then went to check out the links using google and decided to see what kinda links they were. Thankfully my anti-virus stopped my progression - seeing as there might be a vulnerability at some website.

I changed my email password but its still a simple one.
What should I do?

Edited by animesaint, 30 December 2010 - 05:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

Scan your PC for viruses. Scan using whatever anti virus you have installed, and also download and scan with Malware Bytes.

If your PC is clean, change all of your passwords. Not just the one that may have been hacked.

If any infections come back, remove them and post in the Am I Infected? forum.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Edited by NpaMA, 30 December 2010 - 09:56 PM.

#3 animesaint

animesaint
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

Ok i did a scan on both computers and they found no infections. I already changed my password for the email account. Thank you for your response.

#4 ConstantVariable23

ConstantVariable23

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

A while ago, I encountered something like this with my Yahoo email, but there was something fishy about it all. You see, I looked at the headers for the email, and it said it was sent using POP3. Yahoo email addresses don't support POP3 unless you pay for the premium service, and I don't. So, I came to the conclusion that it was just a trick with a spoofed email address, that the real purpose was to get you to read this spam email you allegedly sent, and note the website link it contained (and get it past the filters of course).

I could be wrong, but between the POP3 thing and changing my passwords (all very secure) multiple times, it seemed the most likely explanation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users