Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashing search box

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RottenSod

RottenSod

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hi,

A strange problem ... When I click on Start I get a Search Results window popping up with the search box itself flashing. When something is entered into the search box and Return pressed the box stops flashing and a search begins. The window can then be closed.

Sometimes the window pops up when other icons are clicked and it sometimes appears all by itself after a reboot.

Disabling all the start-up programs via msconfig makes no difference. Neither does setting folder options to default values.

The computer is a HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC running Windows 7 Home Premium.

If anyone can advise on how to cure this problem I would be extremely grateful.

Regards,

RottenSod.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

I would be concerned with how the O/S is accessing files.

That means that I would try chkdsk /r, then defrag after that completes. And I would run the appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive.

Louis

#3 RottenSod

RottenSod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:05 AM

Thanks for the prompt response Louis.

I have done as you suggested but the problem persists. Even when I start another program, like Firefox, the Search Window pops up with the Search Box flashing. Until I can close it I can't do a great deal. Entering text into Firefox boxes is hectic as the Search Window keeps opening and the cursor is directed there!

Typing this reply shows me that Shift+E doesn't work with the right-hand Shift key. All the other letters work! Obviously, I don't know whether this could be related or not!

I have run HijackThis and can see nothing obvious - but I'm no expert. There was an unamed BHO but removing that made no difference.

Would you have any other ideas I could try?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to all.

Phil.

#4 LT Dan

LT Dan

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:27 AM

Try http://www.superantispyware.com/ if you come up clean, go start, control panel, get into device manager, right click on your graphics card, properties, update driver, or troubleshoot,
lemme know and good luck, safe happy new year
Elvis has left the buidling...

#5 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

If the malware scans all come back negative, it could also be a hardware issue, like a failing keyboard.

Search your event viewer logs and see if any keyboard issues have been reported.

#6 RottenSod

RottenSod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:12 PM

LT Dan, Polabar;

Scans are fine, graphics card drivers are up to date, nothing I can see in the event viewer logs. However, all of a sudden, after searching google but probably not related, Firefox window started flashing and going crazy. It stopped after I tapped the CTRL key so I'm thinking it might well be a keyboard issue.

Thanks for all the help and if I ever find out what the problem is I'll let you guys know.

regards and happy new year all.

Phil.

#7 dedode

dedode

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:07 PM

Hi

Just add a login password for windows user.

Problem solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users