Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion laptop won't start up..black screen & clicks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 funlover

funlover

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

My daughter's 2 year old HP Pavilion laptop has failed to startup without any previous problems. We can hear motor running and some clicks, but the screen is black. We contacted HP tech support and he had us hook it up to a desktop monitor, with no results. He said it sounds like a graphic card problem or dead hard drive. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I could determine problem before I start ordering parts....would really appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

Can you please post the model number of this laptop?

This clicking sound you hear, is this coming from the inside of the laptop or the laptop speaker system?

It is unusual for a hard drive to fail completely inside of 2 years, but not unheard of.
Usually you will see some random start up issues before a hard drive fails to the point of not booting at all.
You would usually see the computer doing a disk check at boot up.
Have you been seeing this happen lately?

From reading your description above, I believe your are saying there is nothing at all displayed on the screen. Is this correct?

If this is correct, you may have a setting on the FN keys where the contrast or brightness is turned all the way down making the screen appear completely dark.
Can you please check this function to see if this is not the case here.

No display on either internal or external monitor could very well be caused by the video processor failing.
I can not tell you why this would have happened, but I can suggest that the reason may be do to over heating, which is often caused by dust accumulation build up inside the laptop.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

Hi Bruce.
The model is dv 7.
That is correct, screen is blank.
Since I posted, I checked my notes from the tecn support chat. We also removed and reseated RAM & hard drive and did a power drain.
I checked brightness key and nothing.
After posting, I removed the dvd drive and the noise has stopped.
I don't know if I overlooked this before, but the cap locks light & one above the page up key are flashing constantly.

Edited by funlover, 30 December 2010 - 02:52 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:23 PM

The model is dv 7.

This is only a partial model number.

Here is a link with the whole list of the DV7 laptop range. Can you please pick the correct one from this list and post the link in your next reply?

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_pagetype=s-001&h_query=dv7&submit=Go+%BB

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

Its odd that you are getting no video at all.
Take the hard drive out and see what happens
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

Hi Bruce, the model is HP Pavilion dv7-1127cl. Eyesee thanks, I removed the hard drive and have the same results.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

Here is a link to a support page for your laptop.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3802945&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20»

I do not know 100% for sure if this is the case, but your back light or inverter could be defective.

When the computer is booted up, or running can you point a flash light at the screen to see if you see any images?

If you see images, your back light is either defective or it has burned out and needs replacement.

If there is no image at all, this could mean the inverter is defective, or you have a bad connection or broken wire in the laptop hinge.

The manual at this link may be helpful, take a look through it.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01918142.pdf

Please let me know if pointing a flash light at the screen produces any results.

Bruce.

Edited April 7 2011 for mis-spelled word. ~ Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 April 2011 - 08:43 AM.

#8 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

Thanks Bruce...embarrassing but the batteries to my only flashlight are dead. Would a table lamp produce same results? I used one and can see nothing?

#9 Macleaysb

Macleaysb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:25 PM

Hello MrBruce and funlover,
I have the exact same problem with a Pavilion DV7 1245dx. Caps and num lock lights will perform a steady, continual flash, and all top bevel lights are on, and the CPU fan will spin up for a couple of seconds and it seeks the DVD drive when you first power up, but that is it.
I have looked up a few threads here at BC and have not found a solution yet. I am a tech, but have not come accross this exact issue until now. I have determined so far what is is NOT, and think that it most likely is a bad motherboard or CPU. (kinda out of luck at this point). I did test the display, HD, Memory, BIOS battery, DVD by removing them or connecting a monitor to the VGA port, etc, still same result, ie WILL NOT POST. AT ALL!
If anyone has an idea for me on this, it would be appreciated. Otherwise, I will salvage what I can and dump the rest. :-(
Thanks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users