Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Li1818 laptop with a SATA drive and WinXP can't find any hard drive when it tries to install. My desktop has a SATA drive and it installs on there without a problem. :wink:

Oh in that link posted it shows Hard Drives - Software Utilities it says DOS Diagnostic Tool Ver. 7.0 (For IDE/ATA/SATA Hard Drives)

I've just tried it and it says checking for ATA and it can't find one thats because its a SATA when they show its for SATA as well.

Edited by hamluis, 29 December 2010 - 09:39 PM.
Split from someone else's topic, PM sent this OP ~ Hamluis.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:28 PM

Have you checked the bios for a compatibility / native mode for SATA drives?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:38 AM

No one stated that any of the various utilities listed on any webpage/link...is without fault/problems.

The reality is that the best diagnostic to use on any hard drive...is the utility developed by the manufacturer of that drive for that purpose. If manufacturer has not posted such at the respective website...it becomes a guessing game with variable reliability factors, IMO.

Louis

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:21 AM

Sorry guys I meant to add this to WinXP Repair cannot detect any hard drive I'm sure I added a reply to the bottom but it made a new topic, sorry. :wink:

Edited by hamluis, 30 December 2010 - 12:07 PM.
Removed edit ~ Hamluis.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:11 PM

Your post was moved from the topic you appended it to...because your issues have nothing to do with the original topic and are a distraction from focus on the subject matter posted by the XP.

You were given your own topic...to explore your own issues...because that allows proper focus in any thread/topic.

This has been basic forum courtesy on the Web...for as long as I can remember...posters do not bring up their own issues in a topic which is not initiated or devoted to such issues.

If you don't want to pursue the issues mentioned in your first post here...that is your right, but we have given you the opportunity to do so, while not polluting a topic initiated by the OP of the other topic.

Louis

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

Trakeen is right.
Go into the system BIOS and change the SATA mode to native/IDE or whatever the options are.
XP install should see the drive then.

I think it is darned stupid that the SATA drivers in the XP install load from a floppy disk only when most systems dont have them anymore.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

Motherboards of the last few years...don't require installation of SATA drivers, using "IDE simulation/emulation" options in the BIOS to make installing SATA drivers...a dated procedure. Such BIOS procedures enable Windows to see SATA drives as PATA drives would be seen.

Louis

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:08 AM

You would also need Windows XP SP1 or or later for SATA Drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users