Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop occasionally won't boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kimr

kimr

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:46 AM

I have a 4 year old AcerPower FH that is becoming fickle about booting up. I originally thought it had something to do with USB because when I unplugged all usb cords it would sometimes boot.

More recently, for the past couple of months I've discovered that if I turn it off in the morning and return to it in the evening it will boot fine.

However, this morning I turned it off to go to work and instead, stayed home. I tried reboot my computer while it was warm and no go. At this point its been about three hours and it still won't boot.

Does this sound like the power supply?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:11 PM

It could be the power supply, but what I need you to do is be a bit more descriptive with the booting process taking place on the screen.

When you boot up the computer dos the POST screen appear at all?

If it does, what is taking place on the screen?
Does it produce a post beep code at all?
If so, what POST beep codes do you hear?
Do any POST errors show up on the POST screen?

Your computer may be a victim of a hardware connector oxidation build up problem.

An easy fix, is simply locating the hard drives power and data transfer cables, then disconnecting the plugs on either end of the cables from where where they are plugged in, then reconnecting them again to the same connector, making sure they are firmly and securely plugged in.

Reboot the computer and see if this fixes the problem.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 kimr

kimr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:45 AM

It could be the power supply, but what I need you to do is be a bit more descriptive with the booting process taking place on the screen.

When you boot up the computer dos the POST screen appear at all?

If it does, what is taking place on the screen?
Does it produce a post beep code at all?
If so, what POST beep codes do you hear?
Do any POST errors show up on the POST screen?

Your computer may be a victim of a hardware connector oxidation build up problem.

An easy fix, is simply locating the hard drives power and data transfer cables, then disconnecting the plugs on either end of the cables from where where they are plugged in, then reconnecting them again to the same connector, making sure they are firmly and securely plugged in.

Reboot the computer and see if this fixes the problem.

Bruce.

I'm still having the same problems. I found if I turn it off in the morning and turn it back on when I return at night it powers up fine. If I try to reboot within a couple hours there is nothing. No lights, fans, beeps - nothing. Sometimes when it won't boot pulling out all usb cords will cause it to power on, but not always.

I changed the ram and hard drive but that didn't make any difference.

When it powers on I get the one beep post (with no errors)and it will run forever with no problem until a shutdown. I live in the country so our power goes off fairly frequently..

I'll try the PSU connector to the MB. Maybe there is some corrosion there. My next idea is a new PSU. Do you have a recommendation?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:41 PM

My next idea is a new PSU. Do you have a recommendation?

You would need to specify what your system consists of before I can offer a suggestion for decent PSU that will work out well for your system.

If your motherboard is older and the computer case have older hardware in it, the PSU I recommend has to have the correct power plugs that will fit those pieces of hardware.

Can you please post the make and model number of your motherboard, what type of hardware you have such as the hard drives and optical drives. Are they PATA/IDE or SATA?

Edit:I just looked up above and see you posted it as being an AcerPower FH.

I'll look that up and see if anything shows up.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 February 2011 - 12:47 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

Just adding a support link to this thread for the AcerPower FH desktop computer.

http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?modelId=916

System Specs are at this link.

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/PowerFH/PowerFHsp2.shtml

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 February 2011 - 01:19 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

Here is some information I pulled up on your default setup.

You have 4 USB 2.0 ports.

Your PSU is listed as being an Industry Standard 250 or 300 Watt.

It is either one of the two listed above, neither one is very powerful by todays standards.

Have you added any new internal hardware to this system besides what it originally came with?

Exactly how many devices do you normally have plugged into the USB ports?

I will start checking the web for recommendations on a PSU upgrade, but my next question is where exactly does your budget stand at this point?

I need a rough idea what your price range is before I can offer any suggestions to you.

Bruce.

#7 kimr

kimr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:28 AM

Here is some information I pulled up on your default setup.

You have 4 USB 2.0 ports.

Your PSU is listed as being an Industry Standard 250 or 300 Watt.

It is either one of the two listed above, neither one is very powerful by todays standards.

Have you added any new internal hardware to this system besides what it originally came with?

Exactly how many devices do you normally have plugged into the USB ports?

I will start checking the web for recommendations on a PSU upgrade, but my next question is where exactly does your budget stand at this point?

I need a rough idea what your price range is before I can offer any suggestions to you.

Bruce.

I followed your instructions to some other folks here and pulled every cord, unplugged the monitor, keyboard, mouse and ram. It powers on and off and on again without problems. I added the ram and it powered off and on fine. I added the monitor and it still powered off and started fine so I plugged in everything and again, no start. I had thought it was my usb hub but unplugged it and again, it wouldn't start.

My power supply is 250 watts. My budget is limited but if a new PSU will fix it that would be better than a new computer. Is $50 enough for a decent one?

I forgot to mention that I have a lot of usb devices plugged in like a webcam, external drives, cell phones but not all the time. I only turn on the drives when I need them and my cell phone is not always connected although the cords are always plugged in. I do not have anything extra installed in the case.

Edited by kimr, 27 February 2011 - 08:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users