Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Additional font sizes in Office '07 drop-down boxes, please?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:07 AM

Hello Everyone, :)

I am using Office '07 in Win Vista, with pleanty of computer resources.

How can I add additional values into the font-size drop-down boxes in Office (particularly Word & Excel), please? For example, I often need font sizes at 13, 8.5, 7, 6.5 points in my work and MS did not include 13 pt. nor any below 8 pt. as choices. :huh:

The only way I know now is temporary--place the cursor in the drop-down box, type the point size wanted, and hit "Enter". This method quickly gnaws at my work efficiency. :wacko:

In earlier versions of Word, all one had to do was add (or subtract) extra sizes in it's .ini file with a text editor, but I don't think anything like that exists any more.

Any ideas that work are appreciated. B)
F&C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

I dont know if you can actually modify the font size list but I did find these keyboard shortcuts that might help

Increase font size
(by various increments, depending on current size)
Ctrl + Shift + > (greater-than sign)

Decrease font size
(by various increments, depending on current size)
Ctrl + Shift + < (less-than sign

Increase font size by one point
Ctrl + ] (right square bracket)

Decrease font size by one point
Ctrl + [ (left square bracket)
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:01 AM

I dont know if you can actually modify the font size list but I did find these keyboard shortcuts that might help ...

Thank you Eyesee. :)

That would decrease the total number of keystrokes if it worked (see below) but it still doesn't fix the problem. :(

Unfortunately, the keyboard shortcuts (and Ribbon buttons) in MS Word have a number of faults programmed into them. :censored:
Two examples: If a font is at 10.5 pts, making it "larger (smaller) by 1 pt." makes it 11 pts. or 10 pts.! :ranting:
Also (Consequently?), there is no way to increase or decrease the font size by a standard half-point. :huh:

If you get more ideas I would like to try them!
F&C B)

#4 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:51 AM

Formatting things by fiddling with font sizes is horribly time consuming.
Create proper styles for your text and then apply the styles in a single click (from the quick styles gallery) or allocate keyboard shortcuts to them (I have a standard set of Ctrl+Shift+1 for Heading 1, 2 for 2, 3 for 3, 4 for body text, 5 for bullets, 6 for bullet continuation, etc.)

So if some of these things are headings (13 point sounds like it could be) then modify existing heading styles or create your own. Headings are not just to apply formatting but they give the document structure which you can see in outline view (or navigation pane in 2010), use to create an automatic table of contents, cross reference ('see "More info" on page 37' for example). If you save as pdf you can choose to keep the headings so they can be used to naviagate the document in your pdf reader too. Styles can store paragraph formatting as well as font stuff, which is great for headings so maybe Heading 1 always has a page break before, and heading 2 and 3 are set to "keep with next" so they don't get split from the paragraph that follows. You can override any style formatting by direct formatting of a selected bit of content.

Smaller sizes sound like variations of body text, so you might create "Body text" at 10.5 point, "Small body" at 8.5, "tiny text for picture captions" at 7 and so on. Note that there are lots of built in styles which might be simplest to start from - if you want 6pt text for your footer, use the built-in footer style and modify it to suit you.

Styles are built in a hierarchy, so once you have got your primary "body text" style set up with your preferred font, paragraph spacing etc, you can base others on this and they will inherit all the setting except for those you override (eg font size in this case). Changing something in your body text style later (say, line spacing) would also change the appearance of styles which are based on it.

You can also define what style should be used for the next paragraph - so when I type my Heading 1 and hit enter, the next line is already in Heading 2 style waiting for me to type. I hit enter after that and get straight into body text. If I decide I need a level 3 heading here, i just Ctrl+Shift+3, type my heading, hit enter and I'm back in body text again. This is also useful if you have styles for things like a drop quote (go back to body after the quote), or things like FAQ: have a style for question followed by style for answers, then back to question style again.

Hope this helps and convinces you to start using styles in Word to make your life easier!
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

#5 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

Formatting things by fiddling with font sizes is horribly time consuming.
Create proper styles for your text and then apply the styles in a single click (from the quick styles gallery) or allocate keyboard shortcuts to them (I have a standard set of Ctrl+Shift+1 for Heading 1, 2 for 2, 3 for 3, 4 for body text, 5 for bullets, 6 for bullet continuation, etc.)

So if some of these things are headings (13 point sounds like it could be) then modify existing heading styles or create your own. Headings are not just to apply formatting but they give the document structure which you can see in outline view (or navigation pane in 2010), use to create an automatic table of contents, cross reference ('see "More info" on page 37' for example). If you save as pdf you can choose to keep the headings so they can be used to naviagate the document in your pdf reader too. Styles can store paragraph formatting as well as font stuff, which is great for headings so maybe Heading 1 always has a page break before, and heading 2 and 3 are set to "keep with next" so they don't get split from the paragraph that follows. You can override any style formatting by direct formatting of a selected bit of content.

Smaller sizes sound like variations of body text, so you might create "Body text" at 10.5 point, "Small body" at 8.5, "tiny text for picture captions" at 7 and so on. Note that there are lots of built in styles which might be simplest to start from - if you want 6pt text for your footer, use the built-in footer style and modify it to suit you.

Styles are built in a hierarchy, so once you have got your primary "body text" style set up with your preferred font, paragraph spacing etc, you can base others on this and they will inherit all the setting except for those you override (eg font size in this case). Changing something in your body text style later (say, line spacing) would also change the appearance of styles which are based on it.

You can also define what style should be used for the next paragraph - so when I type my Heading 1 and hit enter, the next line is already in Heading 2 style waiting for me to type. I hit enter after that and get straight into body text. If I decide I need a level 3 heading here, i just Ctrl+Shift+3, type my heading, hit enter and I'm back in body text again. This is also useful if you have styles for things like a drop quote (go back to body after the quote), or things like FAQ: have a style for question followed by style for answers, then back to question style again.

Hope this helps and convinces you to start using styles in Word to make your life easier!

Thank you Adam, it sounds like just what I want and need to do!!! :clapping: :thumbsup:

Where do I find the detailed instructions to create or modify styles (and themes!), please? All the "Help" screens seem to assume you already know what you are doing or are terribly incomplete about useful details and examples.

Some examples of what I need to find out:
1. If I highlight a line of text with two different point sizes and click on a quick-style type, why does that line still have two different point sizes of font?
2. Some "styles" seem to effect the font and/or typeface, the layout of the text, or both--how do "I" get to control this?
3. How do I add and delete themes and styles and quick-styles? (Are these even consistently defined in Office?)
4. How do I create a theme or style that always appears as a choice in Word without having to search for old documents and import them?
5. How do I tell Word to change the font or quick-style without it automatically deleting the small caps changes, super- and sub-script layouts, or changing an italic or bold font to ... something else?

Thank you again!
F&C :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users