Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desktop not responding to anything

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sean77

sean77

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:47 AM

im trying to help with someones laptop, it gets onto the desktop, but when i click on anything it doesn't respond to anything, it wont load up the start menu or anything. I am able to start it up in safe mode so Ive tried using system restore but that doesnt seem to do anything.

would anyone be able to help?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

System manufacturer and model?

No error messages?

Does the full, normal desktop appear?

Since it boots into safe mode...I'd try to take a look in Event Viewer, trying to focus on errors noted at approximate time of last unsuccessful boot.

Louis

#3 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:48 PM

When you say it reaches the desktop, do you mean that it shows the desktop background image but doesn't show any icons or the taskbar?

Try launching task manager from that position by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + ESC.
If you can launch task manager try going to File > New Task and typing "Explorer.exe" (without the quotes)
That should hopefully launch Windows Explorer, which is the program that's failing.
If it doesn't please post back with any error messages.
Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

#4 Adams A Plus

Adams A Plus

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

Try going in to your msconfig. Shut down all your start-up programs. Reboot. (you can do this from Safe Mode) See if that changes anything. If so then you know it's a program that starts up with your computer.
CompTIA A+, CompTIA Net+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Windows Vista, MSITP: Enterprise Support
DCSE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users