Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nvidia 7600gs and garbled screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NOTSOperfectworld

NOTSOperfectworld

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:43 AM

I was happily playing Requiem when the screen froze then progressively got more and more garbled.I had to switch of the power to shut down. Several tries to reboot resulted in the same garbled picture from the game appearing on screen and everything locking up. I managed to restart in safe mode and uninstall the graphics card and can only run the pc with the onboard mobo graphics, so crappy refresh rate etc. The power supply was replaced last year so cant believe its that. I suspect its the nvidia card (7600gs 256mb) as I have been experiencing some 2 second freezes when starting the game and some games would not run after a few uses.If you wizards out there think its the graphics card, what is the best replacement bearing in mind its an old HP pavillion micro atx pc running on a swapped mobo (HP said it was shot so I replaced it then found it was the psu) and 400w psu and not worth spending much on.
Looking forward to some replies, however drunk they may be due to it being pissup season.

Edited by hamluis, 30 December 2010 - 11:38 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:16 AM

Hi - (is the grahpics card shot or the psu)
The last time my screen went "pixilated and garbled" it was the PSU on a CRT screen - I also eventually replaced the graphics card with a NVIDA one but that was later on with a LCD screen - So try a PSU first (cheaper) then the card -

Thank You -

#3 NOTSOperfectworld

NOTSOperfectworld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:40 AM

Although I replaced the psu a year ago, recently I have noticed it has become very noisy on start up. A bit like it wants to take off. It only slows down when I start to use the pc , about 5 mins. Would the psu cause problems with the nvidia card ie freezing or locking up. I am using an lcd monitor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users