Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my network vulnerable to a hack?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sunwshpr

sunwshpr

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:10 PM

Sooooo,..I just connected my 2 desk tops with a Netgear wireless router,...both computers have cables going to the router,...I just plugged and played without any boot disc,..is my network vulnerable to a hack?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:14 PM

Did you set all security on your router?

You may need to re-check your router security settings, as described HERE

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 sunwshpr

sunwshpr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:27 PM

What makes the access to the internet on a wireless router secure,...a password, a sid name etc? Sorry,..I'm new to wireless and I'm thinking if I have both desktops connected directly to the router with ethernet cables,..it's not over-the-air type access, or is it still hackable?

#4 somdcomputerguy

somdcomputerguy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:29 AM

While your computers may be wired to it, the kid next door or somewhere within the network range of your router doesn't need to be wired (pun intended!) to it, and if the router doesn't have even a basic password change, it is 'hackable'. Some sort of wireless encryption, preferably WPA, is advisable, even if you are not connecting any devices wirelessly. This pretty much 'closes' your network. So the kid next door can't use your internet account.
-bruce /* somdcomputerguy */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

#5 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:29 AM

What makes the access to the internet on a wireless router secure,...a password, a sid name etc? Sorry,..I'm new to wireless and I'm thinking if I have both desktops connected directly to the router with ethernet cables,..it's not over-the-air type access, or is it still hackable?

Hi, if you do not use the wireless connection on the router then i would simply disable it!!!,in the future you do wish to connect wirelessly you will need to create a "key/password" and depending what type of security is offered in your router i.e... wep/wpa/wpa2 ... if wpa2 is an option that would be the best to pick, if not then choose wpa, as wep is vunerable,check this out..... http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/WPA_key/generator.php
if you decide to use this generator make sure you also write this down as it will save time when it comes to attach new peripherals/ computers/gamestations and the like as these will all need the key to access the router. also on the router settings to access it you need to change the password to get into the router... it usualy set as username...admin / password...password . this will secure your router from any one accessing and changing settings without your authority. to access your router type 192.168.0.1 into your browser then type in admin and password into pop-up box to gain access. then you can change wirelesss/ security passwords in there.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#6 sunwshpr

sunwshpr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

Hi, if you do not use the wireless connection on the router then i would simply disable it!!!,in the future you do wish to connect wirelessly you will need to create a "key/password" and depending what type of security is offered in your router i.e... wep/wpa/wpa2 ... if wpa2 is an option that would be the best to pick, if not then choose wpa, as wep is vunerable,check this out..... http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/WPA_key/generator.php
if you decide to use this generator make sure you also write this down as it will save time when it comes to attach new peripherals/ computers/gamestations and the like as these will all need the key to access the router. also on the router settings to access it you need to change the password to get into the router... it usualy set as username...admin / password...password . this will secure your router from any one accessing and changing settings without your authority. to access your router type 192.168.0.1 into your browser then type in admin and password into pop-up box to gain access. then you can change wirelesss/ security passwords in there.

Ok...disabling the wireless part of my router sounds like what i need to do,..so the infamous question is ,...how do I do that?...it's a Netgear mr814 v2,..I did go to the url address and it shows the Netgear status and other info

Edited by sunwshpr, 01 January 2011 - 09:55 PM.

#7 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:37 AM

Ok...disabling the wireless part of my router sounds like what i need to do,..so the infamous question is ,...how do I do that?...it's a Netgear mr814 v2,..I did go to the url address and it shows the Netgear status and other info
[/quote]
Hi, if you want to disable the wireless then do this.....>open browser window >type 192.168.0.1 > enter username...>admin >enter password...>password into log in box.when access is granted go to wireless configeration and remove the tick from enable wireless access point. scroll down and click save settings. then exit the router by logging out this option should be at the bottom left of your screen.
Here is a link to the user manual for your router http://edmullen.biz/manuals/Netgear_mr814v2_Full_Manual.pdf
any problems post back and i will try to resolve them for you.
Happy New Year.
Iain.

#8 sunwshpr

sunwshpr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

Woo-Hoo...I just disabled my wireless router and now using it as a wired router only,..I feel alot safer from the hack,...hope i don't have to worry about anything else,..thank you all here on Bleeping,..I was using Craigslist computer forum and can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone on that forum,..thanks again all.

#9 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:35 AM

Woo-Hoo...I just disabled my wireless router and now using it as a wired router only,..I feel alot safer from the hack,...hope i don't have to worry about anything else,..thank you all here on Bleeping,..I was using Craigslist computer forum and can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone on that forum,..thanks again all.

Great!!! the only thing i would do now is to change the log in password to your router,this will prevent anyone other than you in your household to change/alter settings in it.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

Great!!! the only thing i would do now is to change the log in password to your router,this will prevent anyone other than you in your household to change/alter settings in it.

Also make it at least 6 figures long. Alpha\numeric in nature using both upper and lower case. Use special characters such as * or # for example if your router supports them.

Do not use a name or word found in the dictionary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users