Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I like your war room here

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Quintus Board Baker

Quintus Board Baker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:40 AM

Hey there fellow Tricksters and Tinkers. I'm Q. I love broken computers. Each one is a brand new puzzle. I can't help myself from poking at them till they come back to life. I'm pretty sure I blew about 30 hours resurrecting an Apple II E, with a sweet green screen, just so my sister's kids would know what my "Oregon Trail" sweatshirt is so special to me. I'm a compulsive computer resurrector. I have fixed many things, and always with help from boards like this.

Hands down though, the Coolest trick I've pulled off so far (IMHO) is remounting a loose Graphics processor from a POS Gateway motherboard. This was the 2nd motherboard in that system, and the second time that GPU magically 'broke' after system standby one fine evening. My best guess is that Vista's fancy hibernate mode left just a little too much heat around the GPU mounted on the ?corner? of the motherboard. Stuff gets hot, it warps. edges first. GPU comes loose. Great frikkin work, Mr. Computer board engineer... what a schlepp. Anyways, I made 4 little tinfoil feet about an inch tall with a wad of aluminum foil squished around 4 x case thumb-screws. I flattened the bottom of each foot for stability. Removing everything from the motherboard you can is a Must. take off CPU, and heat sink, and anything that unscrews or unplugs. Leave no Ram or cards or cables: Melty bad new.
Placing the 4 aluminum mobo risers in a shallow turkey baking pan, and then resting the broken motherboard on those tin pegs, worked great, so easy. Standing there for 5 minutes waiting for the pre-heat oven light to indicate that we've reached 375 degrees...Yes, those 5 minutes left a mark on my soul. Five minutes of asking myself if this is really a good idea or not. But, I read it on the Interwebs so it must B3 Tru3. Next I put on a Darth Vader Apron for safety and turned the Oven from Preheat, to Bake. 375 for 7.5 Minutes. Apparently those are the magic numbers. This temperature seems to be just hot enough to soften the solder, but not hot enough to melt plastic or circuit-board. I baked my $200 paperweight for 7.5 minutes, and then took it out of the oven. I cooled it off through the whole night just to be safe and tried it the next day. The Board seemed to have no visible defects but shrunken serial number stickers. (I forgot to peel off the Labels)

I strapped it up in to my fancy cardboard computer case that I use for quick Mobo\Proc/Ram tests. Plugged in a monitor and mouse, jumped the wires for the power button and Quazang!! The effin thing worked. Like a champ. The guy is still using that computer and it's been like 4 months. I don't really expect it to last... but it was the only thing I've ever baked in the oven-(that you can't eat)- so it makes for an epic nerd conquest.

My Name is Quinton, but my friends just call me Q. or Q-Ball, Q-dawg, or... His Q-ness if you're not into the whole 'brevity' thing.
I went to college for 11 years, got degrees in English Lit, Psychology, and History.... and still I end up my own computer repair business. As English teacher I'd make around $2.50/hour out here in these boondocks. But those rednecks pay me $60/hour... working at home... in my Pajamas to bring their (BLEEP)ing Computers back to life.. So yeah, I'm a super lazy uber nerd, that refuses to work for anybody ever again.
It's all thanks to folx like you, with fantastic boards like this. I learned 8% of my tech savvy from college. The other 77% I learned from google. And yes that's only 85%, that other 15 I just make up as a go and see what happens.

That is all for now.

Duct tape IS The Force.
All Energy Flows according to the Will of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to deny it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:25 AM

Hi Q,

Welcome to BC

Glad to have you here. :thumbsup:

(Your story reminds me of a true story)...
And more than a little OT..o.k. way OT.... tenuous at best.
but here goes...
Many years ago on a cold winter night, (much like tonight) a litter of puppies was born, by our then family dog Dinky (100% pure bred mutt). It was a fine situation what with the miracle of life and the little scrappers making their debut at two in the morning (much like tonight). Only drawback was the temp fell below 30 degrees heat was scarce and we all were doing what we could to stay warm by bundling up. Within minutes of the first puppys rolling out it became obvious to us that that their mother could nary keep em warm enough to survive and there was a shortage of long johns, thermals, hats and gloves in itsy bitsy puppy sizes. Right this moment I am wondering if you were there because all of a sudden, Quazang somebody came up with an idea that ultimately saved the little furballs lives. (I can almost hear it now). Anyway... somebody said "hey let's place them on a towel in a shallow baking pan and put them in the oven". After getting over the initial shock and horror of what that might mean, we pre-heated the oven to like 80 or 90 degrees left the door wide open and sat on the kitchen floor all night watching and petting the little buggers.
To make a long story short. The next day an indoor dog fort was cobbled together, complete with a hundred watt light bulb swinging a couple of feet overhead and mamma and the puppies lived happily ever after.

I will force myself to stop writing now so as not to have twenty chapters by dawn.

Welcome :busy:

#3 bandrews

bandrews

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:33 AM

You... have... an... Oregon Trail sweatshirt. As soon as I read that, I got super jealous. So, I immediately went and found this at bustedtees.com and will certainly be ordering it in the very near future. I must admit I didn't read the rest of your post, but what can I say, you had me at 'oregon trail' :welcome:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users