Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer cant find hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 danwal84

danwal84

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:26 AM

My girlfriend got frustrated one night and started uninstalling and deleting random things things....I'm sure these stories always end well :P

After this, she was trying to reboot her computer and got the message that hal.dll was missing and the computer could not start. It doesn't get to the windows loading screen, or to the point where safe mode could be entered, it just blanks out after showing the HP logo and gives that message. After skimming forums for some time, I tried creating a recovery center disk, which could not load because of missing files on the hard drive. I managed to eventually find a windows boot disk and tried it today, it failed the first 4 times, each time giving the name of a missing file that caused setup to fail (different file each time). After that, it made it to the end of the setup process, and gave 3 options. To repair windows, install it, or exit. When I try to enter to install it or repair it, I get the same message. That no hard disk is installed and setup cannot complete....I've been through the 'PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility' that is on this computer, the only option I can actually get to before the error message comes up, to run the hard disk self test, doesnt seem to accomplish anything, and I am at a loss, not sure what to do, I'm certainly not happy with her using my new laptop though, for I fear it will soon meet the fate of hers :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Wallace

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:49 AM

Worth a look, http://search.hp.com/query.html?cc=us&lang=en&charset=utf-8&qt=hal.dll&la=en .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users