Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Battery Just Died After Only A Year

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LazyMan826

LazyMan826

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

Hello,

I have an HP laptop and purchased it on January 2nd 2010. Lately, during things like watching a dvd or playing an online game, my computer seems to just die when I am running on just battery power. The only way to get it to start up successfully again is to plug it into the power cable and then it will start back up. After talking with hp support and running some support assistant test, my battery is needed to be replaced.

I do not want something like this to happen again in a year so I was wondering if anyone knows why my battery would die so early? It is a 6-cell lithium ion battery.
I usually leave my computer plugged in when planning online games since they can last for a few hours. Is leaving your laptop plugged in bad? Should I have it plugged in 24/7?(my mom literally does that with her laptop so let me know if this is okay)
I usually completely drain my battery and plug it in (unless playing an online game) but is this good?

When I tried to find info about this online it spits out things about how to make the battery last longer by lowering the amount of things you are doing or dimming the screen but I want more of a longer-lasting setting.

I appreciate any hints/tips/tricks/advise ahead of time. Everyone on this website is always super helpful.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:30 AM

My tip is if you rarely move around your laptop to different places, take out the battery because it preserves the life of the battery. Charge the battery when it is about 15% left.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:46 AM

In a perfect world, lithium batteries like to stay around a 40-50% charge for storage (for max life). If your lappy is going to be hooked up to power for an extended time, pull out the battery.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:01 AM

The only two places I really have my laptop are at college and at home, which I can easily just plug in for power. Should I just maybe remove the battery the entire time and only use it if I go on a trip or something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users