Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Freeze/BSOD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TehT

TehT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:15 AM

Okay, after many weeks of digging and lots of frustration, I have come no closer to this problem. As my friend and owner of the computer is question is fed up with the problems he's having and is about to just buy a new computer, i conviced him to give me a bit more time.

The problem is this: my friend has a fairly decent gaming computer, just under a year old, which has run for a good while without problems.
Then suddenly a couple of months ago it started freezing seemingly randomly. The start of the freezing seemed to coincide with the update to Vista64 SP2. So we tried updating all drivers, to no avail. Tried reinstalling, to no avail. and then finally, upgraded to Win7 (Full format and reinstall). Which worked perfectly.. for about a week before it too started freezing.

The freezing i might add is not EXACTLY random, but instead has certain tendancies. To quote my friends last recap:

"I've watched an entire season of Supernatural without it crashing once.
I've tried watching certain other videos, with different encoding, probably, and almost never fail to crash.

Some games crash all the time, Lotro for instance crashes immediately, some games (next to) never crash, and others are more temperamental.
Running WoW inexplicably seems to make crashes a lot more infrequent.

Freezes are far more frequent than bluescreens.
I can listen to a Youtube playlist and play WoW for four hours straight without crashing, and crash ten minutes into watching a SC2 replay on youtube, for example."

Some major things tried thus far:
We've run memtest for 12 hours without a hitch
Run an indepht hdd check
replaced the graphics card, ran for 10 minutes before freezing.

There have also been some random BSOD's but as my friend mentioned above, they are not as frequent. Looking through dumpfiles tell me nothing as to what can be the culprit, but i must admit memory logs are not exactly my fortè.

PC specs are as follows

MSI P45 NEO-F, P45, Socket-775, DDR2
Intel Core# 2 Quad Q9400 2,66GHz,
Socket 775, 6MB, 1333MHz, Boxed w/Fan
Kingston ValueR. DDR2 PC6400 4096MB CL5
Corsair Powersupply 550W
XFX GeForce GTX 260 576M 896MB GDDR3
Western Digital Raptor 74GB
Western Digital Caviar 500GB

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I have literally tried everything! There are some threads around the net that are mentioning similar symptoms, but none seem to have any ideas to what it could be or how to fix it. The last seven minidump files are added below.
If theres any other details you could use that could help in narrowing down the problem, let me know and i shall get them posthaste!

(hrm, i seem to be unable to upload the dump files, dunno the policy on this but here are direct links to the last two dumps at least)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3677116/122910-20248-01.dmp
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3677116/122410-17550-01.dmp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Socratesx

Socratesx

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:20 AM

I would suspect the PSU first. If you have a spare PSU replace it and check again. Random Freezes and BSODs may be due to PSU failing to provide the necessary power. The fact that these incidents happen more frequently during games is also pointing the PSU. During Games the system draws more power than usual. IF the PSU is unable to provide the required power then this could result to a freeze or BSOD.
My Blog for Computer Beginners : Buy a New Computer
My Rig:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P DQ6 | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz | Video Card: Sapphire ATI 4870x2 |
RAM: 2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066 | Hard Drives: 4xSeagate 7200.12 2TB | OS: Win 7 x64 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W

#3 TehT

TehT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:56 PM

Hmmmmm, that is one thing we haven't really checked, and his past history with PSU's is checkered at best (He's already fried a number of them for unknown reasons)

Are there any ways to check the output of the psu?

#4 Socratesx

Socratesx

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:11 AM

You can check the output with a multimeter. You can find one in any tools shop for $20.
My Blog for Computer Beginners : Buy a New Computer
My Rig:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P DQ6 | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz | Video Card: Sapphire ATI 4870x2 |
RAM: 2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066 | Hard Drives: 4xSeagate 7200.12 2TB | OS: Win 7 x64 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users