Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start up issue

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 pJ`

pJ`

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:57 PM

Well I've had this computer for quiet sometime now my friends brother built it for me but I can no longer contact him for help. Basically whenever I hit the Start-up button it will begin to boot but nothing will go on the screen I'll wait, and wait but nothing show's up on the monitor, it only started doing this after I had taken out the battery on the motherboard and put a new one in Posted Image This is a picture off google but this is what I was talking about. That's the only recent hardware changes that's been done.

Edited by pJ`, 29 December 2010 - 10:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:35 PM

You might try resetting the CMOS to default settings. You'll have to enter BIOS to do this

I don't know exactly what computer you have so I can't tell you specifically which keys to push, but I can give you an idea of how to get there.

When you first turn on your computer, you should see a couple of options at the very bottom of the screen to press an F key or delete key. It will be on the same screen that tells you who made your computer. AS soon as you see this screen, choose the option to enter settings. On my computer, it's the 'delete' key to enter the settings. This takes me into BIOS. On my computer, the CMOS settings are in the Power Management menu. Just look around in the different screens until you find an option for CMOS settings. Select it and then push enter. You should get an option to restore default settings. I can also just press the F9 key to restore the default settings. After doing so, save and exit BIOS. On my computer, that is the F10 key.

Look in the help menu for a list of commands in the BIOS for the specific keys to enter your commands.

I hope this helps.
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:59 PM

Changing the battery will automatically revert the BIOS to the default settings.

When you replaced the battery did make sure the polarity was correct, the + should be the visible side of the battery.

When you start the computer does the fans spin up? Do the LEDs on the case and keyboard turn on? Can you open the optical drive?

Does the LED on the monitor come on? If so, what color is it?

It would be worth double checking to make sure that you didn't dislodge any wires while you were in there.

Before touching any of the components inside the case you should touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity from your body. Static electricity can kill some components.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 pJ`

pJ`
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:46 AM

Changing the battery will automatically revert the BIOS to the default settings.

When you replaced the battery did make sure the polarity was correct, the + should be the visible side of the battery.: Yes

When you start the computer does the fans spin up?: Yes Do the LEDs on the case and keyboard turn on?: Yes Can you open the optical drive?: What is that?

Does the LED on the monitor come on? If so, what color is it?: Yes, Orange

It would be worth double checking to make sure that you didn't dislodge any wires while you were in there.: I have

Before touching any of the components inside the case you should touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity from your body. Static electricity can kill some components.: I have

#5 pJ`

pJ`
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:47 AM

Also I hit a couple F keys on my keyboard and it seems to be doing something, But nothing is appearing on the monitor.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:53 AM

The optical drive would be either a CD or DVD player.

Do you have another monitor that you can try, or another computer that you can try this monitor with to see if it's the problem?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 pJ`

pJ`
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:00 AM

Both the CD and DvD drive's open and yes i'll switch monitors, one second

#8 pJ`

pJ`
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:08 AM

It's not the monitor :(

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:16 AM

Try opening the BIOS.

Does this computer have a separate graphics card?

#10 pJ`

pJ`
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:19 AM

How do I open the BIOS? And yes

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:25 AM

There are a couple of different ways depending on the motherboard. Try hitting the Delete key immediately after starting the computer. If it boot to the BIOS it will narrow down the possibilities of problems.

Do you know what the make and model of the motherboard is? The motherboard may have onboard graphics which we can try to use.

#12 pJ`

pJ`
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:34 AM

I hit the delete it when it booted, nothing happened :(.

I'm not the about the model of the motherboard, I have my computer opened and I can see it clearly, would it be on it?

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:38 AM

Usually the make or model will be silk-screened on the motherboard. Look for it around the CPU, that's the where the fan is located on the motherboard.

Did the person that built this computer provide you with the user's manual?

#14 pJ`

pJ`
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:41 AM

He did not :( i'll try to find it though

#15 pJ`

pJ`
  • Topic Starter