Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2003 Hangs system when loading profile

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

I was recently called out to a client's business to address their Outlook 2003 problem on a computer running Windows XP SP 3 2GB DDR1 no CPU specs at the moment.

Once you open Outlook the only thing you get is an hour glass cursor, and the entire system hangs. You can press control alt delete and see the option to use task manager, but you can't click on anything. The only option is to hold the power button to shut down the system.

I've tried the repair option in add / remove programs, renaming the PST file, creating a new profile, deleting cached files outlook uses, running scanpst.exe, and installing Office 2003 SP3. Automatic updates are turned off at the moment, because it seems "hot fixes" seem to run a "cold chill" down my spine when 5 other things break.

The only time I've noticed any difference in the way the program responds is if I create a new profile and select the option to choose a profile when loading Outlook. As soon as a profile is selected you see all the directories flesh out and the program hangs.

The new profile I created is a blank slate and has nothing more than the MS Welcome e-mail in the inbox, so I'm guessing the problem is occurring as soon as the profiles are loaded, but I have no idea how to fix this issue.

The only step I haven't tried is completely uninstalling Office 2003 and reinstalling because they can't find their original discs. If it comes down to that I've got magic jellybean installed and can pull the product key from there, but I'd rather not go that far if anybody has some ideas. I spent close to 4 hours working on this problem and would appreciate any advice.

Edit: One thing I have not done is uninstall AV currently running AVG Free 2011 and registered version of Malwarebyte's Antimalware. I did disable the e-mail scanner component in AVG, but that didn't have any effect.

Edited by Trakeen, 29 December 2010 - 11:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Status Report:

Still haven't managed to keep the system from hanging when Outlook 2003 is opened so we've opted to use Outlook Express. I'm having a slight problem with it though. My client somehow created a hotmail account in Outlook, and now the old PST file is not the file the default profile is using.

Since I can't open outlook without taking down the whole system, do you guys know of a way to import the pst file into Outlook Express, or any other programs that might be able to convert it to a csv file for me?

I've tried the normal import option and selected the "outlook" profile, but all I get is a set of empty folders and no contacts at all.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

Have you tried it in safe mode?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Trakeen

Trakeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:46 AM

I did try outlook /safe but had the same results. I did not try booting into safemode though. I'll try that the next time i stop by.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users