Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijack of Google Search Results, Can't access MS updates, Whitesmoke

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 EJH_CO

EJH_CO

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

Hi all,

I'm helping a friend with his computer. It's been acting strangely for a little while, he says. It's got WinXP Home, SP3. He has no current or active anti-virus, anti-malware or any other security programs on it. He had an old version of McAfee Security on his computer, but had never updated it or used it.

Some of the symptoms are:

If he clicks on a link after doing a Google search, it is misdirected or hijacked to another website.
Can't access MS Updates or download any updates.
He found something that said he had Whitesmoke on his computer, and tried to remove it.
svchost.exe runs using a lot of resources (almost to 100%) when running IE

He had IE7 on his computer. I did a little research, and found something that suggested an update to IE8. I did that, and got a message that it was successfully installed, but without the updates. When I tried to d/l the updates from the MS Update site, I could not.

I've already downloaded, installed and ran Malwarebytes in Safe Mode, and have a log file for that. It found quite a number of infections, including lots of places where Whitesmoke was. I clicked on remove all, but that did not stop the behavior I described above.

I tried to access the ESET online scanner to run a scan, but it was interrupted and never completed.

I know the computer is still infected with something, if not lots of things.

What can I do next?

Thanks so much in advance.

EJH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users