Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My browser redirects, Get no taskbar at startup

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 turin567

turin567

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:18 PM

I am running Windows XP pro version 2002 sp3.

My problems started a few days ago when I began to get a windows "no disc" error. It would give me three options of retry, cancel, or continue. After several clicks the window would close. My machine would hang up on shut down at the screen "windows is shutting down". My home page in both ie and firefox were changed, and I was getting redirected to various search pages when I tried links from google. I also could not access the windows update site.

I had recently installed itunes and quick time so I assumed that was the problem. When I tried to remove them my computer would freeze up. So I tried a system restore to the point before I installed them, but it didn't work. I was still having the same problem.

I ran an avg scan that came up empty. I tried to run an ad-aware scan but the system froze. I went to a site called eset.com and ran an online scan there that found some problems and supposedly rectified them. I then downloaded combofix from this site after being reccomended to do so by someone at another site, and ran that. After these the no disc error was gone, and my machine would shut down, but the other problems were still there. Along with these sometimes after start up my screen would be blank with no task bar and no desktop items. When I would try to shut down through task mgr the system would freeze. I also occasionally get an error message that says "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services had encountered a problem and needs to close."

I then downloaded spybot s+d and Super antispyware and ran those in safe mode. The found a few issues as well and removed them. I also ran CClean in safe mode. After rebooting the problems were still there.

I read a few threads on this site and then downloaded MBAM and ran it. It found one problem and fixed it. The problems are still there however. I still am getting redirected to other search sites in both explorer and fire fox. When I try to get to windows update I get a "cannot display webpage" message whether I try to get there from ie or from the start menu. I still have the occasional boot to empty screen and the Generic Host Process Error message.

Can anyone help??? I know that there are a few different symptoms here but since they all started at the same time I am assuming they are from the same problem. Here is the log from MBAM:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5420

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

12/29/2010 8:36:47 PM
mbam-log-2010-12-29 (20-36-47).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 227642
Time elapsed: 12 minute(s), 56 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{A6573479-9075-4A65-98A6-19FD29CF7374} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Edited by turin567, 29 December 2010 - 09:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users