Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed new power supply, getting fan error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ninjames

Ninjames

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

Hey folks. I'm on an HP Pavilion a1712n running Windows Vista. It's a friend's computer, and they had a power outage (while plugged into a surge protector) and it still killed the power supply. I tested it and there was no power whatsoever, so I purchased a new power supply, this one in particular: http://www.cputopia.com/psu-replacement-hp-pavilion-a1712n.html

I hooked everything up, everything spins, both fans (CPU and Case fan, as I understand they are) and the computer seems to run fine, but I'm getting an error message pertaining to the fan. It says

ERROR: System Fan Has Failed!
Service PC to prevent damage to the system.
Press <F2> to continue

I've unplugged the case fan and still got this message, so I assume it's the CPU fan (I also assume the case fan is the one, you know, in the case that I can see from the outside).

The CPU fan is a TaiSol, 12VDC Ball Bearing. It seems to be running fine, is there a way I can test the RPM of the fan or whatever to see if it's really an issue? The fan is spinning at a speed that looks as though it's fast enough. The power supply seems to be functioning just fine beyond that and fits perfectly in my case. The fan is connected to the motherboard with a tiny connector that has three wires going into it. By "running fine," I mean that the fan seems to be spinning fast and I CAN get into Windows and use the computer.

Thanks guys, I want to make sure this can work out before I give it back to my friend.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

Its just a hunch here, but are the cooling fans the same ones that were used originally?

There is a possibility that the sensor, which is built into the cooling fan has suffered some type of damage from the voltage spike.

Try replacing the cooling fans to see if this error goes away.

If you wish to monitor temperatures, fan speeds and motherboard voltages, you can download and install the following programs.

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Speed Fan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

You can also check your computers BIOS setup utility to see if one of the BIOS menus have hardware monitoring section. Which usually displays fan speeds and sensor readings.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users