Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The new kid at Bleeping Computer

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 artchixx

artchixx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:50 PM

Hello Bleeping Computer gurus!!

My name is Erin - I'm thirty something, female from TX.
However, I imagine you would like more information about my machine than myself. :-)

I came back from a Christmas trip to realize that I had a virus of some sort. I can usually figure out when and where "it" happened. For instance, I've had 2 past experiences when the pop up comes up informing me that my machine has been infected....etc. After the first experience I was taught not to click "close" or "cancel". The next time I used the "ctrl+alt+del" function but still got infected.
I LOVE computers and LOVE to learn my way around my machine.
I usually try and figure things out but the last 2 times have ended up bringing my machine to "my guy".

I would have even said I know a moderate amount about computers but after poking around this site a few nights...
Well, I'm envious and MEGA INTIMIDATED!

I started looking up information about the problem I was experiencing on my BlackBerry and came across your website. I really want to give this a go and see if with some help from you guys...maybe I can figure this out.

The longer I use my computer the more interested I become in its workings and what is needed to not just be one of those people that expect their machines to magically work and miraculously stay safe .... somehow. I have come to understand that nothing will ever keep my computer problem free 100% of the time, but I have to admit that I'm surprised that I don't do many of the things that are practically asking for trouble AND I am very vigilant in updates and scans and yet this will be my 3rd infection in a year.

Maybe that's not as big of a thing as it feels.
When my parents ask me to come help them with little things on their computers I'm amazed and shocked at all the toolbars, junk software, downloads from unknown sources (screen savers & such) and places they go on the Internet without a question of safety in their mind. They have Norton as their antivirus and I had made a decision to try Panda instead (I was told it was no worse or better and it was free). Their computers may run VERY sluggish but they don't seem to be infected. I joke with my Mom and say I'm surprised my Dad's computer doesn't burst into flames at times. He's convinced the more anti virus software he has on his computer the safer he will be. But, he downloads from random sites that are sent in junk emails....UGH!
Anyway,
I wanted to introduce myself a little before I tried to follow the steps listed for known problems.

I worry that I will make things worse.
But, I would like to be able to problem solve some of these issues on my own and learn even more about my machine!

I can't wait to poke around on this site even more when I'm not in crisis control mode.
Thanks for any and all help/advice!
I think this site is awesome!
Erin M.
:busy:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users