Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to purchase a wireless cable router with a USB port for printing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 infobleep

infobleep

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:40 PM

Hi there

If this is the wrong forum I've posted this in, then I apologise. I am in the process of researching the purchase of a laptop for a friend, which I've asked questions about in another thread I've put up. As part of this he is also after a wireless router with possibly a USB port to connect a printer. He has cable so it has to be cable enabled. Whilst he already has a cable modem and could connect it to a router without the modem part, I'm not sure if that is a good idea as the modem isn't exactly new and might fail.

I've seen the following Draytek router, 2110: http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2110.html

It doesn't state it has a printer port on their site but from reading other Web Sites I'm fairly certain it does. I know someone with the ASDL version of it and it seems to be running okay for them. However it potentially has far more features than my friend will ever need, with many features likely to never be used.

Therefore can anyone suggest a good wireless n series router with USB port, which isn't to advance in what it does but does provide good coverage and speed. It may be that despite all the never to be used features, that is still a good router worth buying.

Happy Christmas and thank you for reading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

Any specific budget?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 infobleep

infobleep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

Thank you for your reply Killerx525. Sorry I should have explained this part in more detail. I wasn't really concerned with the budget per say but I guess anything over 140 might be too much.

My main concern was getting a cable router that gives good coverage and good wireless speed throughout his semi-detached house. That way it will last for quite a few years to come, without an upgrade being required. The router needs to be fairly easy to set up. A USB port would be handy so that multiple computers can print to the printer, without having to be directly connected to the printer each time. At my parents house the printer is physically moved between rooms. When I purchased the router on their behalf, I hadn't thought about wireless printing but now I think it's a good idea as it's less hassle than moving printers or computers.

My friend doesn't need all the extra functionality that comes with more expensive routers. I would only consider buying a router with all of that if routers without that didn't have a printer port or good wireless coverage range. My parents have a Belkin N-series router (2007) and the further away you get from it, the greater the chance of losing your connection to it. Whilst this is eventually the case with all routers, I have since read a review criticising the N-series for it's lack of speed. It says that other routers offered better speeds once one got further away from the router. (http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wireless-routers/122309/belkin-n1-wireless-modem-router).

Thank you for reading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users