Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google hijacked: Quick Q! Answer appreciated

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alienalias

alienalias

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:27 PM

Posting the Q FIRST, which was previously at the bottom of this "intended to be short" description.

So, I give up. I bought a new PC today. I had been backing up my files monthly via iDrive for my soon-to-be old PC, and was about 30% into updating it one more time before letting this PC permanently R.I.P. I JUST paused the back-up, worried that I will also back-up this hijacking virus and pass it on to my new out-of-the-box PC when transferring my old files. So, after a lengthy explanation (below), my question is this:

Will I infect my new PC (that I just bought and have not taken out of the box yet) with this hijacking virus? (Meaning will iDrive back up the virus along WITH my files and transfer it to my new PC when I transfer all those back-up files from iDrive?)

Details below...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have somehow gotten the virus that hijacks and causes multiple redirects whenever I search/use Google and click on one of their organic search results or Adwords ads.

Yesterday I got a virus that froze my system up and tried to blackmail me into paying $60 for adware removal. It froze any and all programs I would try to use, and slowed my PC to an absolute halt. Nothing worked on my entire PC. Tried rebooting about 7 times and nothing would show... just my screensaver, and no desktop, or Start bar, or similarly. I was convinced my hard drive was wiped out. Miraculously it finally boot up and then I Was able to see the so-called virus removal "System Tool", which would again disallow me to use anything. However, got on my iPhone, learned to hit F8 during boot up, went into safe mode with networking and successfully removed it with Malwarebytes. However, my PC has been giving hints of dying for the last month. It is running slow, and having errors, and freezing, and etc etc. "System Tool" was removed, but now this browser-search engine hijacking is nonstop.

I have tried Spybot, Malwarebytes, and am currently running McAfee, as well as having run Ccleaner today. Your advice is appreciated immensely. I am waiting to both complete the backing up of my files and doc's at iDrive, and connecting my new PC until I hear from one of you excellent experts.

Best Regards! -Scott-

Edited by alienalias, 29 December 2010 - 08:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:56 PM

Hello,

I'm moving this to the Am I Infected forum for you.

Question: Are you wanting assistance in cleaning the infected machine or do you just want advice on backing up your files?

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users