Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP "Files and Settings Wizard"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:21 PM

Has anyone ever successfully used the F.A.S.T Wizard? I have tried several of the suggested methods. What I am trying to do is transfer the steup of this (notebook) computer without a floppy drive (running XP Pro) to the newly recovered desktop with a floppy drive(running XP Pro). I have the setup (recovery) disk for each computer and have had no success. Anyone?

It sure would make things easier!

Soap
UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:35 AM

Hi sudsy -
From this article it seems that you can use a USB Thumb Drive and not just a Floppy - Hope this helps -
The only safe way to use F.A.S.T. today is to make a Wizard Floppy or USB Thumb Drive Disk (Note it is an older article from the way it is written) from the new computer with the above latest version installed.
A reader of this article named Ray suggested the following to determine which version of F.A.S.T. you are using: Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\usmt\, right click on the file migwiz.exe, and select Properties.

#3 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

Is there suppose to be an article here for me to read? Also I have version 5.1.2600.5512 migwiz.

Edited by sudsy, 31 December 2010 - 10:37 AM.

UFO pilot

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:33 AM

The answer was based on this article http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php -
It was written several years ago and relates to XP only - There are others but they relate to Vista -

#5 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:39 AM

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
UFO pilot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users