Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm trying to physically take out the network adapter of my IBM Thinkpad laptop model 2373RU1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

I'm trying to physically take out the network adapter of my IBM Thinkpad laptop model 2373RU1. The network adapter is an Intel PRO/1000 MT located in "PCI bus 2, device 1, function 0" according to the Device Manager. I assume I have to unscrew something under the laptop and remove a card or something of some sort. Where might that be located? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

Chances are, the card is inegrated into the motherboard and is unremovable, why do you need to remove it?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:06 PM

I want to take the laptop into the library to work without distraction, which includes making it impossible to get on the internet with it, wirelessly, so that even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to. There's probably some other way besides taking something out, in which case I'd like to hear it. Thank you.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:50 PM

If you are talking about a wireless NIC. Then yes. It is probably removable. It should be located under one of several panels on the bottom of the lap top. It will likely have a black & white wire attached. They pull straight up and off. Then there are two spring clips. One on either side of the card. Gently spread them apart. Then slide the card back and up out of the slot.

Or go to Network connections, left click on the proper icon and select disable.

OR, the easiest way. Exercise some self discipline while studying.

#5 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

The question is which panel?

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:48 PM

The question is which panel?

Look for it. It will be quicker to unscrew a couple of panels and look for a mini card with a couple of antennae wires clipped to it than posting here and asking questions.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab341/AAL2423W/laptop.jpg
The aim is to make it impossible for one to utilize the internet on this laptop without the use of an external aid. (such as a removed network adapter or a USB drive containing a driver that the laptop absolutely requires in order to make use of its network adapter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users