Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I remove "write protection" from a sub folder on a drive in My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

I have a simple question to which I cannot get a simple answer.

I went to My Computer (XP), double clicked on my MP3 Player drive icon,
double clicked on the Internet Storage icon and then came to several folders, including the Music folder. I double clicked on Music folder and several sub folders came to the screen including a PLAYLISTS FOLDER. The problem is that the Playlists folder has several files which I did NOT create, labelled Playlist (1), (2) and (3).

I deleted Playlist (1) with no problem, however, when I went to delete Playlist (2) and Playlist (3) a message came up that it:

" cannot be deleted because it is write protected. Remove the write protection".

Another terrific Microsoft message which doesn't tell you what to do, which is why I will shortly install Linux on my computer.

I tried to get help in the "help" file, which is generally useless. It is not even listed in the glossary under "write protection" how to do this.

I went to the "help" file in Microsoft Word. It says to select the tools menu and click the option which says remove write protection. The only problem, is that this seems to only apply to this word processor, because when I click "tools" on the menu above the above folder opened in My Computer, there is no such option.

I clicked on "properties" for the folder.....no option there either.

Is there someone out there who can instruct me how to perform this simple task, for which there is no direction in Microsoft Help?????

I would appreciate a response by a person more "geeky" than I am!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

Well...what you describe is unusual...and Microsoft has nothing to do with the manner in which a manufacturer sets up the native folders on an .mp3 player.

My experience with such folders (any and all) is that they are deleteable, like any other file.

If the folders cannot be deleted in either normal or safe mode...I would simply do firmware update. Should be avaiable at website of player maker.

You could also try a product like Revo Uninstaller.

You could also entertain the idea that...the folders may be viewed that way because of some problem with the drive (such as bad sectors) and try to run the chkdsk /r command on the player from My Computer/Properties.

Louis

#3 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:20 PM

Well...what you describe is unusual...and Microsoft has nothing to do with the manner in which a manufacturer sets up the native folders on an .mp3 player.

My experience with such folders (any and all) is that they are deleteable, like any other file.

If the folders cannot be deleted in either normal or safe mode...I would simply do firmware update. Should be avaiable at website of player maker.

You could also try a product like Revo Uninstaller.

You could also entertain the idea that...the folders may be viewed that way because of some problem with the drive (such as bad sectors) and try to run the chkdsk /r command on the player from My Computer/Properties.

Louis

Okay, good ideas, Louis....I'll try these and let you know how I make out.\
I would not have thought of check disk in this situation. Brilliant! Kudos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users