Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to buy a computer under £500, is the following HP good enough?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 infobleep

infobleep

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

Dear all

I am currently looking into the purchasing of a computer for a friend. Having read various forums it seems that HP are to be recommended. One of my brothers has a HP laptop and he likes it.

During my research I saw the following HP laptop for sale at staples, with a good price, once VAT is added on, (http://www.staples.co.uk/technology/pcs-and-laptops/laptops/g62-b17sa-laptop-15-6-hd-led-hp-brightview-display-amd-turion-dual-core-p540-4gb-ddr3-500gb-sata-7200rpm-ati-mobility-radeon-5470-graphics-sata-optical-drive-windows-7-home-premium----includes-free-mcafee-internet-securi)

The following HP web page gives the detailed specs:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/321957-321957-3329744-3848802-3848802-4247533-4315417.html

Is that Laptop any good? If not can people recommend anything else?

My friends budget is under £500

The primary use for the computer will just be web browsing, e-mailing and word processing. Nothing to CPU heavy but then even web pages with flash videos can eat up the CPU at times. Therefore I think he should get a duel core or higher laptop, which the HP is. That will also help in the coming years as more programmes make use of multi-threading.

The software itself will just be Windows 7 Home Premium; Internet Explorer; Firefox and Office 2010. Possibly some photo software relating to his camera but nothing like PhotoShop or Aperture. He doesn't play games either.

He won't have lots of programmes running at the same time as he won't be using many programmes to start with. He will be storing photos on it but probably not much music, as he plays CDs.

I personally think the 500GB hard drive is far to big for his needs but do think duel core processor is a must and the £399 price at Staples might be good a deal. If it is, does it really matter if his hard drive is too large?

I will also be getting him an external drive to backup to. His fiancé also has a computer so I thoughtabout partition the external drive so they can both backup to it. They can just use Windows backup. It has to be simple. I'll probably get them a western digital or a Samsung hard drive because I'm using some their hard drives right now and I've been very happy with them.

Happy Christmas and thank you for reading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

Dear all

I am currently looking into the purchasing of a computer for a friend. Having read various forums it seems that HP are to be recommended. One of my brothers has a HP laptop and he likes it.

During my research I saw the following HP laptop for sale at staples, with a good price, once VAT is added on, (http://www.staples.co.uk/technology/pcs-and-laptops/laptops/g62-b17sa-laptop-15-6-hd-led-hp-brightview-display-amd-turion-dual-core-p540-4gb-ddr3-500gb-sata-7200rpm-ati-mobility-radeon-5470-graphics-sata-optical-drive-windows-7-home-premium----includes-free-mcafee-internet-securi)

The following HP web page gives the detailed specs:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/321957-321957-3329744-3848802-3848802-4247533-4315417.html

Is that Laptop any good? If not can people recommend anything else?

My friends budget is under £500

The primary use for the computer will just be web browsing, e-mailing and word processing. Nothing to CPU heavy but then even web pages with flash videos can eat up the CPU at times. Therefore I think he should get a duel core or higher laptop, which the HP is. That will also help in the coming years as more programmes make use of multi-threading.

The software itself will just be Windows 7 Home Premium; Internet Explorer; Firefox and Office 2010. Possibly some photo software relating to his camera but nothing like PhotoShop or Aperture. He doesn't play games either.

He won't have lots of programmes running at the same time as he won't be using many programmes to start with. He will be storing photos on it but probably not much music, as he plays CDs.

I personally think the 500GB hard drive is far to big for his needs but do think duel core processor is a must and the £399 price at Staples might be good a deal. If it is, does it really matter if his hard drive is too large?

I will also be getting him an external drive to backup to. His fiancé also has a computer so I thoughtabout partition the external drive so they can both backup to it. They can just use Windows backup. It has to be simple. I'll probably get them a western digital or a Samsung hard drive because I'm using some their hard drives right now and I've been very happy with them.

Happy Christmas and thank you for reading

Hi, my opinion is that you are caught in a price squeeze and unwilling to accept less than the very best.....even though the purposes of the user do not warrant things you think you need. You are also ignoring things you DO need....name, if you read the small print in the ad, they don't even give you a DVD player which you need to install the windows software!

Is HP kidding with this? Why on earth would you buy a computer without a DVD player which you need to install the operating system???

HPs are only good IF the computer in question has all you need. If it has things you do not need, why pay for them.

Your friend does not seem to be doing anything demanding all the CPU use you are talking about. You seem to be confusing your own preferences with your friend's actual need.

I would suggest the following points:

1. Given the use intended by your friend, he does NOT need a dual core processor, nor does he need the flashy CPU performance you think YOU need ( You probably don't need it either!).

2. I don't know much about the AMD Turion.....there are so many new chips out there, that you can't keep up with them. AMD makes good stuff though and I am sure it is equal to your friend's task. Having a cache is important, although your friend could probably even get by with the geek dreaded Celeron chip. I use a Celeron for word processing, financial tasks, internet, etc....and it works great. A geek can really make even the lowly celeron "fly" so to speak, at least enough for your friend.
The disadvantage of the Celeron however, is it does not have an extra cache, which can limit you if you are doing fancy CPU hoggin things. It has been adequate for me, for five years...I have an old Gateway celeron.

3. Bear in mind that we were all doing find with wordprocessing when we only had 386 computers and DOS wordprocessors, such as Wordperfect WP51 ( which, incidentially I still use as being much faster than the point and click wordprocessors).

4. You are obviously a younger guy and young people buy into the ridiculous hype which the computer companies bombard you with. Don't do it. Just buy what your need...nothing more. I can only relate to this analogy. If you need basic transportation , in America, you can purchase any number of 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder autos. The auto companies, of course, would rather you buy a healthy v-8 sports car, such as the Corvette. But, you don't NEED a Corvette to go to the store. It's the same thing with computers...just buy what you need.

5. As far as storage goes, you may as well buy the most storage drive you can get which is within your budget. I will agree however, that the size of the drive in question is far more than your friend needs.
(Bear in mind that, probably before you were born, when computers first came out, we were glad to have a top drawer hard drive of 175 megabytes!!!. We did fine with wordprocessing under DOS using that size drive).

6. My recommendations:

HP does make good computers, but you need one properly equipped. Do not EVER buy the one you mentions, without a DVD drive.

I also point out the computer displayed in your link has a very wide screen. Why they put there on lap tops is beyond me. If your friend is going to be lugging the lap top from place to place, he does not need a heavy wide screen. Get a 15 inch screen, tops.

Make sure you have enough USB ports also. Some computers have only one or two!

I can recommend the Toshiba Satellite as a really nice computer.
Compaq also makes some nice computers.

....and don't forget the little known ASUS, which you won't find in many stores, but can purchase on line.It's a great computer....ask any geek (which I am not).

Hope this gives you a little perspective. There are many fine computers you can purchase for under $500 US, these days. You don't need a lot of what You think YOU need, to satisfy your friend's purposes.

Best to my friends in Britain. Always a pleasure.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

I believe this is asuitable laptop for your friend. I reckon it's good idea to spilt the 500GB hard drive so your friend can backup files.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 infobleep

infobleep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

Thank you for your replies.

I can't see where it says it doesn't come with a DVD drive. All I can see is: "CDDVDDriveType SATA Optical Drive" and on HP's Web Site: "SATA optical drive: LightScribe SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support". I would never have considered a laptop without a DVD drive.

I do admit that it's not so easy purchasing a computer for someone else as I don't use it to their level. I'm a more advanced user. I work with GIS [Geographical Information Systems which is maps and databases] software and this can at times eat up the CPU. I also run Windows 7 as a Virtual Guest OS on my Mac which is running Snow Leopard. This is so I can run Windows only based software. Therefore I find the duel core very useful, as is the 4GB of memory I have. I am also the sort of person who has quite a few web pages open at the same time in Firefox, during the course of research, and these sometimes consume my CPU. I use a handy add-on called BarTab which unloads them when I'm not using them.

A lot of this my friend wouldn't need. However my only concern was that his computer might run slowly in 5 years time, given that designers seem intend on making their software more complex. More complex software can require more processing power, although I admit this isn't always the case. For example ExifTool, the command line meta-data application.

I also have a 5 year old Toshiba with a Celeron 2.9GHz processor, with 1.25GB of memory ,and I find that runs slowly at times. Even AVG uses a lot of CPU when doing updates. Perhaps there is nothing wrong with that being the case but personally I prefer to be able to do other things whilst AVG is updating. Which begs the question, will this only get worse as designers make their software more complex?

I would like my friends computer to last longer than 5 years. It's not that simple programs won't still run as fast in 5 years time, is that I feel some of the simple programs he might use, e.g. Web Browsers and anti-virus software, are being made more complex by their designers and using more CPU. Perhaps I am misguided with this opinion. May be someone else would like to share their opinion of the matter.

The wide screen is perfect for my friends because he isn't transporting the computer around, just using it at home. He prefers a laptop to a desktop because it takes up less space rather than requiring one whilst on the move.

I wouldn't recommend backing up to the same hard drive though. If it fails then both fail. I personally like the Time Machine backup system that my Mac uses but that's not available for Windows. However I'm sure the Windows based one would be adequate, especially as like many people, he currently has no backup system in place.

I looked at Asus laptops but the site I might likely have ordered it, www.dabs.com, was out of stock. I also looked else where but I then read various comments that HP were good and as my brother had one of their laptops, I decided to go with them. In fact we wish to avoid the 2.5% VAT rise from the 4th January is also partly influencing our decisions as to where to purchase and what to purchase. As in anything out of stock is no good, since companies tend to charge you once the goods are despatched and now when you place the order.

Kind regards

Edited by infobleep, 30 December 2010 - 06:33 PM.

#5 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

Hi again, Okay, I understand your points, however, lets be realistic about the "longer than 5 years" projection. Almost no one keeps their main computer more than five years anyway because the operating system manufacturers, such as Microsoft, see to it that the new software will not work with older systems. Let's call a spade a spade..;.they deliberately make them obsolete by having a monopoly in the software industry. IN short, microsoft is too powerful. Apple does the same think but less frequently.

Buy him something which works fine NOW.... your projections for five years from now are likely to turn out false anyway!

Good luck. As to value added tax, this is pretty much a British phenomenon, which is why we threw out the British from the Colonies in the first place. The English government will never change..it is basically the same as it was in 1776. (understand I am not making any excuses for the US Govt of late either!)

Happy New Year. Leave Britain before it's too late!

#6 LT Dan

LT Dan

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

Most laptops today will do general browsing, the basics as you said. The main thing is that you are happy with the computer. That you like the feel of the keyboard and the place you are getting it from. I know a lot of times online I can focus on hardware, performance etc and that is important, but what is just as important is you feel good about the purchase. The good points on your buy is it's name brand, from a very good store etc. So, yes, it sounds like a good thing. Happy and safe new year. sincerely, lt dan

Edited by LT Dan, 30 December 2010 - 08:06 PM.

Elvis has left the buidling...

#7 infobleep

infobleep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

Thank you for all your help. In the end I told him to get a Toshiba laptop. Whilst I was deciding what he should do, the HP I had seen for sale at Staples disappeared. Not that they ran out of stock but that the page vanished. Perhaps it was a mistake. So that caused me to look elsewhere.

Also Toshiba are also doing a rebate in the UK right now so he gets £50 back. The laptop in question can be viewed at: http://www.dabs.com/products/toshiba-satellite-pro-c660-16w-core-2-duo-t6670-2-2-ghz-3gb-250gb-15-6--windows-7-home-premium-64bit-77JD.html

Kind regards

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

Thank you for all your help. In the end I told him to get a Toshiba laptop. Whilst I was deciding what he should do, the HP I had seen for sale at Staples disappeared. Not that they ran out of stock but that the page vanished. Perhaps it was a mistake. So that caused me to look elsewhere.

Also Toshiba are also doing a rebate in the UK right now so he gets £50 back. The laptop in question can be viewed at: http://www.dabs.com/products/toshiba-satellite-pro-c660-16w-core-2-duo-t6670-2-2-ghz-3gb-250gb-15-6--windows-7-home-premium-64bit-77JD.html

Kind regards

That Toshiba laptop is similar to my Toshiba laptop look at my signature.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users