Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Browsers Won't Work

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mr. Donihoo_*

Guest_Mr. Donihoo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

System Info:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Less than one year old
Run AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011 as my primary security program
Also have SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition and MBAM installed

First Indication of a problem:

I downloaded an application file from a website. Almost immediately after installing the application, AVG flashed a warning saying that malicious software was detected and I took the appropriate steps to resolve the problem. This occurred twice for two different virus detections. The first was identified as a Win32/Kryptik.IDZ virus with file path: C:\users\%username%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\shell.exe and the second was for an unknown virus with file path: C:\users\%username%\downloads\%downloadedapplication%.exe. Both of these files are shown in Avg's quarantine. In the same night, I was trying to access another webpage but was unable to.

Problem:

I am unable to access the internet via a web browser despite being connected to a wireless network. IE8 does not display webpages.

Ex: If url is www.yahoo.com, the browser shows: "Address is not valid" and the address bar reads: "http:///"
If url is my.uh.edu, the browser shows: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" and the address bar reads: "http://www.google.com/search?q=my.uh.edu&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe="

The difference between these two site is that my.uh.edu is a login webpage that is encrypted and www.yahoo.com is not. With Chrome the same problem occurs only the website my.uh.edu and a few other encrypted login sites actually display and function normally.

Fixes Tried:

1) My first thought was to plug into the modem for a hardwire internet connection, this did not work.
2) Second, I scanned with MBAM, SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition, and Avg Free Edition 2011 in normal windows mode - nothing was detected.
3) Restarted in safe mode and ran MBAM, SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition, and Avg Free Edition 2011. The results are as follows:

MBAM - Nothing detected
SUPERAntiSpyware - Detected one registry threat identified as a Malware.Trace with file path: HKUS\S-1-5-21-3165519977-3495548585-1607052933-
1000\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon
Avg Free Edition - Nothing detected

Cleaned with SUPERAntiSpyware and restarted. Did not fix problem.

4)Researched Maleware.Trace and found Dr.WebCureit! Restarted in safe mode and performed complete scan (express did not pick up anything). Result are as follows:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scan statistics
Scanned: 533025
Infected: 12
Modifications: 0
Suspicious: 0
Adware: 1
Dialers: 0
Jokes: 0
Riskware: 0
Hacktools: 0
Cured: 0
Deleted: 0
Renamed: 0
Moved: 10
Ignored: 0
Scan speed: 93 Kb/s
Scan time: 10:51:27

C:\Windows\CouponPrinter.ocx - deleted

=============================================================================
Total session statistics
Scanned: 535014
Infected: 12
Modifications: 0
Suspicious: 0
Adware: 1
Dialers: 0
Jokes: 0
Riskware: 0
Hacktools: 0
Cured: 0
Deleted: 1
Renamed: 0
Moved: 10
Ignored: 0
Scan speed: 8 Kb/s
Scan time: 10:56:34

Dr.Web Scanner for Windows v6.00.05 (6.00.05.08310)
© Doctor Web, Ltd., 1992-2010
Log generated on: 2010-12-02, 16:10:45 [User Name-PC][User Name]
Command line: "C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Temp\F3CBBBBD-D225B832-B2BEE2D5-43D61C0C\ee63a_xp.exe" /lng /ini:setup_xp.ini /fast
Operating system: Windows Seven Premium x64/WOW (Build 7600)

Some of the infected files that were deteceted were associated with Java so I uninstalled Java. Later after a computer restart I got a blue screen and had to load a restore point from before Java was uninstalled. I have no clue what's gong on and I haven't tried anything else since this incident.

Please Help,
Mr. D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ozzie27

Ozzie27

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

Do your normally use a proxy? If not, look to see if the malware you did have changed proxy settings on your browser. In IE go to Tools> Internet Options> Connections> LAN Settings> And uncheck the proxy settings if you don't use a proxy, and change back to 'Automatically detect settings'.

Worked for me this morning! Had a similar problem.

#3 Guest_Mr. Donihoo_*

Guest_Mr. Donihoo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

Wow ... that was obscenely easy!! What about the blue screen and having to restore my system? I don't want to have any underlying problems that I'm blissfully unaware of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users